Maintaining Status


Terms & Conditions

Employees holding H-1B status must maintain employment as described in the H-1B petition. Any change in the terms and conditions of the employment (reduction in salary, change of number of hours, job duties, new employer, etc.) requires the filing of a new H-1B petition.

Working for another employer requires additional H-1B filing with USCIS by the new employer. Direct reimbursement for travel, room and board is permitted but monetary honoraria, awards, and fellowships are not permitted.

Length of Status

The normal maximum time permitted on an H-1B status is 6 years. A maximum of three years may be requested at one time. More time beyond the normal 6-year maximum may be requested depending on how far along you are in the processing of obtaining permanent residency in the U.S. See Permanent Residency for more information.  There also may be situations where time is "tolled" for the period of time the foreign national was outside of the U.S.

Address Reporting Requirement

USCIS requires that all H-1B and H-4 status holders notify them of any address change within 10 days of moving by submitting Form AR-11. The Form AR-11 can be submitted online here.


Must be valid for at least 6 months into the future.