In the aftermath of the mass murder of Asian women in Atlanta, the University is joining a variety of local and regional organizations to host an online vigil this evening at 7 p.m.
The purpose of the vigil is to mourn the lives lost, to express solidarity and to share the perspective of Asian Americans.
Register to attend this virtual vigil.
Once registered, you will be sent an invitation to join the session through Zoom.
The agenda will include:
- Moderator and Opening Remarks – Brant T. Lee, professor of law; assistant dean of diversity & social justice initiatives, The University of Akron
- Personal stories from representatives speaking to their personal, professional and daily life experiences
- Statements of support from representatives of local and regional organizations
- Moment of reflection
Participants are asked to light a candle and have it visible during the event.
Many organizations are supporting this vigil, with more being added by the hour. They include:
- The University of Akron Office of Inclusion and Equity
- The University of Akron School of Law
- Rethinking Race at The University of Akron
- The University of Akron Office of Multicultural Development
- The University of Akron Pan African Studies Department
- Asian Services in Action (ASIA)
- International Institute of Akron
- Akron NAACP
- Akron Civil Rights Commission
- United Way of Summit & Medina
- League of Women Voters of Akron and of Hudson
- Akron Area Interfaith Council
- Fair Housing Contact Services
- OCA Greater Cleveland - Asian Pacific American Advocates
- OPAWL: Building AAPU Feminist Leadership
- MotivAsians Cleveland
- Dimensions of Isms
- AsiaTown Cleveland
- University Settlement
- UA School of Law Social Justice Fellows
- Akron Interfaith Immigration Advocates
- Asian Evergreen Apartments