International Students Other Information

Section 4 – Additional important information


We would like to welcome you, and your child, to The University of Akron!


General information about the International Center can be found online. You may find the answers to many of your questions here.

If you have questions or concerns you want to speak with us about while your child is attending university here, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Regarding privacy and information, we must caution you:

Contact Information

Contact information for all the International Center staff

International Center Front Desk - Use this for general questions or for emergencies during office hours:

  • Phone: 330-972-6349
  • Fax: 330-972-8824
  • Email:
  • Office hours: Mon - Fri 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (or 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. during the summer)

The University of Akron Police DepartmentUse this for true emergencies outside of office hours:

If you are under the age of 18, please review this information below.


We can only accommodate rides from the airport for anyone who will be under 18 at the time of their arrival in Akron and who will be travelling alone or someone with a disclosed reason for assistance. We will provide more information and sign-up instructions when we have them available.


During your career at the University of Akron, there will be instances where university personnel will need to reach you. Up-to-date contact information ensures that we are able to get you the information you need in a timely fashion and updated emergency contact(s) ensure that in the event that you are involved in an emergency situation, we know who we should contact on your behalf.

It’s also important for UA personnel to know what information you have permitted to be shared, and with whom it can be shared (also known as FERPA release).

You will need to have signed paperwork on file to authorize treatment for a minor in a local medical facility. Having this completed before you arrive can help ensure you receive care quickly if necessary.

Please send ALL signed health care forms to University of Akron’s Health Services before you arrive or be sure to bring them with you to campus.


  • You are required to live in the residence halls.
  • The University of Akron requires a co-signer for housing contracts for all students under 18.
    • An online, virtual, co-signature is acceptable.
  • You can access the housing contract and more information through your "My Akron" account (use your UAnet ID and password to log-in).
  • You can request a waiver to live off campus using the link in your MyAkron account.


To open a bank account:

  • You will need an adult co-signer present with you.
    • According to US law, you cannot open a bank account at any bank in the US if you are under 18 without an adult co-signer, physically present at the time account is opened.
  • All international students (regardless of age) must present their passport and one other form of ID (acceptable secondary ID: visa, I-94, I-20, ESTA) in order to open a bank account.

    If you do not have a co-signer:

    • If you do not have someone who is willing to co-sign or able to be physically with you at the time the account is opened, you will not be able to open an account until you turn 18.
      • This means you will need to make ALTERNATIVE BANKING ARRANGEMENTS in order to have funds available (for tuition, living expenses, etc.) until you turn 18.
    • PNC bank on campus can begin the process of opening a bank account for you beginning 3 weeks before your 18th birthday without needing a co-signer.
      • This only begins the process and the paperwork, your account will not be completed until you turn 18.


    Signed waiver:

    The University of Akron’s Student Recreation and Wellness Center is committed to creating a safe environment, therefore, ALL participants in the various activities at the Rec Center must have signed a waiver prior to using the facilities.

    • You must have your legal guardian sign a waiver for you before you come to Akron.
    • You will find the waivers online, click on the “Minor forms" in the drop down boxes.
    • Have your legal guardian sign the waiver.
    • You bring your signed waiver to your first visit to the Rec Center.


    In the US, all phone contract plans must be signed by someone at least 18 years old.

    • If a parent or guardian travels with you to Akron, they can sign for you (and will be responsible for any charges/fees you incur).
    • Alternative option: you can usually get a “pay as you go” phone without a co-signer, as no contract is required for these types of phones.


    All international students can work ON campus without special approval from the International Center (approval is required for all off-campus employment, including internships).

    • Due to University policy, the only on-campus jobs available to students who are under 18 are with Aramark (food services).
    • You can find information about all on-campus positions on Handshake.
    • Check the Career Services website for more information and links.
    International | arrival | 4 other info accordion

    Although the term “global nomad” refers to anyone who has spent a significant portion of their formative years outside their country of citizenship, at Akron we tend to use it to refer to US citizens who have grown up overseas. Even though these individuals do not require the immigration services of the International Center, they sometimes find it helpful to use our services when settling in to life in the United States and to find spaces to celebrate their unique stories.

    • For Global Nomads and Third Culture Kids (TCK)s, “home” can be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. A simple question such as “Where are you from?” can be very difficult to answer!

    • Global nomads and TCKs have often lived for a significant part of their developmental years outside their passport country, usually due to a family member’s occupation (examples include military postings, missionaries, diplomats, aid workers). They often feel more attached to their new country (or countries) than to their passport country.

    • The “third culture” may be a culture of mobility that has arisen after frequent moves, but it more generally refers to the new culture created when an individual combines elements of their home culture with their new cultural home into a third, sometimes very personal, cultural identity.

    • Global nomads / TCKs often find a sense of belonging with others who have had similar backgrounds. They have experiences, insights, and skills that are invaluable in a world struggling to manage diversity peacefully.

    You are welcome here!

    The University of Akron welcomes all global nomads and TCKs into our international family.

    First-generation US-Americans also may identify as global nomads or TCKs if they have family members who immigrated to the United States. Sometimes these individuals grew up speaking another language at home or having an “international” upbringing while living in the United States.

    We invite all global nomads and third culture kids to self-identify to the International Center so that we can invite you to join our events and activities. You are also invited to attend International Student Orientation when you first arrive. We recognize that some students may feel more comfortable utilizing the services of the Multicultural Center than the International Center. We want ALL students to find their home at The University of Akron.

    Resources about Global Nomads/TCKs

    • Pollock, D. C., & van Reken, R. E. (2009) Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Between Worlds. Nicholas Brealey.
    • Quick, T. L. (2010) The Global Nomad’s Guide to University Transition. Summertime.
    • Bell-Villada, G. H., Sichel, N., Eidse, F., & Orr, E. N. (2012) Writing Out of Limbo: International Childhood, Global Nomads and Third Culture Kids. Cambridge Scholars Publishing
    • Denizen is an online magazine dedicated to today's Third Culture Kids. It represents the modern global nomad community, complete with attitude, expression, and creativity.
    • Among Worlds is a quarterly magazine published by Interaction International, an organization dedicated to the interests of TCKs and internationally mobile families.
    • is a forum where you can communicate with TCK’s and Global Nomads around the world.
    • On Facebook - Third Culture Kids

    Resources for Global Nomads/TCKs with U.S. citizenship


    Global nomads/TCKs with U.S. citizenship, who are 18 or older, are eligible to vote in Ohio.

    Please note:

    • You cannot register to vote until you have a residential address and have resided in the county/state for 30 days.
    • If you are not a U.S. citizen you are not permitted to vote in U.S. elections. Voting illegally is a violation of your immigration status.

    Contact Alison Doehring, 330-972-7352 or with questions.


    You will need to file a tax return while you are at the University of Akron.

    • Tax day falls on (or close to) April 15 every year.
    • You should receive any tax documents, relating to any scholarships you may receive and/or to employment starting in January of each year. Keep these documents.

    Need help with your taxes?

    • Most University staff are unable to provide tax advice, but you can go to one of the open tax assistance sessions run by the College of Business.
    • They are usually held throughout February, March, and early April each year.
    • Look out for information about these sessions in ZipMail.

    Also, various online tax-preparation companies can help you with your tax return. The resources available for students with U.S. citizenship are not the same as those for international students. We regret that the International Center cannot provide guidance about this process.

    Health Insurance

    If you are a global nomad with US citizenship, you required by US law to have health insurance.

    How to get insurance: