For the latest guides on using Brightspace and associated tools, check out the Keep Teaching Community in Brightspace.
Powered by Desire2Learn (D2L), Brightspace is the University of Akron's learning management system. Brightspace can be used to develop web-based courses for distance education, or for creating resource-rich course sites to supplement on-campus courses. Instructors choose if and when to activate courses for student access. Brightspace automatically contains a course shell, complete with a class roster and state-of-the-art communication, collaboration, content delivery, and student assessment capabilities for every course in the Registrar’s Course Schedule. Additional Brightspace features include:
- A home page and site for each course
- Password protection and authentication for enrolled students
- Online self-assessments, quizzes, and exams
- Threaded discussions and chat groups
- Document storage, sharing, and management
- Course event calendars
- Grade books
- A Learning Object Repository (LOR)
- An ePortfolio
Upon request, Brightspace sites are also available upon for other University purposes, including content for committees, research teams, student groups, or departments.