Tools for Online Course Design
Brightspace is the default online environment at UA. While it is possible to host online courses in other learning management systems, UA does not generally support those systems for the following reasons:
- FERPA protection – the provider may not have signed an agreement to protect students' educational records.
- Security – the provider may not be compliant with industry standard security practices.
- Accessibility – the system may not work well for students with disabilities (Desire2Learn wins awards in this area).
- Disaster Recovery – the provider may not adequately protect your course against data corruption or data loss.
- Software Support – the provider may not be able to answer support questions that you or your students may have.
Thus instructors developing online courses are strongly recommended to use Brightspace. If there are features present in other LMS's that are absent from Brightspace, please contact Wendy Lampner (firstname.lastname@example.org or x2149) to explore further. Some tools to customize your course that are fully compatible with the Brightspace LMS are listed below.