Tools for Online Course Design
Springboard (a UA-branded version of Desire2Learn) is the default online environment at UA. While it is possible to host online courses in other learning management systems, UA does not generally support those systems for the following reasons:
- FERPA protection – the provider may not have signed an agreement to protect students' educational records.
- Security – the provider may not be compliant with industry standard security practices.
- Accessibility – the system may not work well for students with disabilities (Desire2Learn wins awards in this area).
- Disaster Recovery – the provider may not adequately protect your course against data corruption or data loss.
- Software Support – the provider may not be able to answer support questions that you or your students may have.
Thus instructors developing online courses are strongly recommended to use Springboard. If there are features present in other LMS's that are absent from Springboard, please contact Wendy Lampner (email@example.com or x2149) to explore further. Some tools to customize your course that are fully compatible with the Springboard LMS are listed below.