Don't lose work-related files
If the hard drive on your computer fails, the files on that drive would be lost. Information Technology Services (ITS) technicians may not be able to perform data recovery and restoration on local computer drives. This is one important reason why work files should be saved in Microsoft OneDrive, Teams or SharePoint. These services protect against the threat of drive failures and ransomware and provide several other benefits.
Advantages to using Cloud storage (OneDrive for Business):
- Accessibility - Users can access all files, folders, photos and videos in the cloud from anywhere in the world with their UA credentials and internet access.
- Recovery - If something happens to the files on a computer, users can always access the cloud and retrieve any data that may have been damaged or lost.
- Syncing - Changes to one or more files in the cloud will automatically sync across all affiliated devices.
- Increased security - Most cloud storage providers tend to add extra layers of security protocols. They do this to prevent files and folders from being lost or ending up in the wrong hands.
If you find you have any questions about OneDrive or SharePoint, please open a ticket with the ITS Help Desk at 330-972-6888.
- University data should be backed up regularly, which OneDrive and SharePoint do for you.
- Personal data should not be accessed or stored inappropriately. Here are University guidelines on data access and storage.
- Never share your UANet ID and password.