J. Dean Carro
Director of the Legal Clinic and Appellate Review Office, Dean’s Club Professor of Law, and Professor of Clinical Education
- Continued work as Chair of the Akron Bar Task Force on Judicial Campaigns.
- Attended the MAC Semi-annual Conference and chaired the Rules Infraction Committee as Faculty Athletic Representative.
- Presented a CLE on “Criminal Law Updates” to several hundred Ohio Municipal Court judges.
- Was Master of Ceremonies at Judge Croce’s Investiture.
- Presented a CLE for Akron Law alumni in Canton, Ohio.
- Presented a CLE to members of the Toledo Bar Association on Professionalism.
- Presented a class to the Akron Explorers on Miranda.
- Presented a CLE on recent Ohio and United States Supreme Court criminal cases for the Hamilton County Public Defender to over 100 lawyers.
- Assisted with police officer training at the Cleveland Clinic.
- Created an oral history of Judge Cacioppo for the Akron Bar Association.
- Presented on Brady materials to members of the Cuyahoga County Bar Association Ethics Committee.
- Presented a CLE on criminal law to over 100 lawyers for the Akron Bar Association.
- Conducted an on-site evaluation of the Summit County Juvenile Detention facility.
- Presented a CLE to approximately 60 Ohio Appellate Judges on the United States Supreme Court and Ohio Supreme Court’s criminal cases.
- Presented a CLE to over 400 lawyers on an “Update of USSCT Decisions on Criminal Law.”
- Presented a CLE on Professionalism to attendees of the District 11 meeting.
- Was interviewed on the radio for the Legal Clinic’s expungement program.
- Served on the Federal Magistrate Judge Selection Panel.
- Taught a class on the 4th Amendment for the Summit County Leadership Institute.
- Selected by Chief Judge Batchelder of the 6th Circuit to serve on a reappointment committee reviewing the Federal Public Defender.
- Presented on criminal procedure to 50 Ohio judges through the Ohio Judicial College.
- Presented a CLE for the Akron Bar Association on the relation between state court criminal practice and federal habeas and civil rights cases.
- Presented two CLEs to groups of Ohio Judges and Magistrates (a total of 70 persons) on “Criminal Procedure, updates from the USSCT and Ohio SCT 2009 terms.”
- Presented a CLE on “Criminal Procedure, updates from the USSCT and Ohio SCT 2009 terms” to over 100 lawyers in Akron, Ohio.
- Assisted in a training session on the use of force in arrests for the Cleveland Clinic police force.
- Presented on “United States Supreme Court Cases from the 2009 Term” to over 400 lawyers.
- Taught a class on the American Legal System to visiting diplomats from Sweden, Romania, and Ukraine.
- Moderated two panels sponsored by the School of Law at the annual NAAC Conference (dealing with legal issues for compliance people in athletics) in Anaheim, California.
- Gave an update on criminal procedure to security forces for the Cleveland Clinic.
- Chaired the committee for the Akron Bar Association to review the Bylaws relating to elections.
- Participated in rewriting of Mid-American Conference Strategic Plan and chaired a sub-committee.
- Presented a segment to Leadership Training Class for neighborhood organizers.
- Asked to serve on a commission to review Summit County Juvenile Court operations.
- Presented a CLE for the Akron Law Alumni Association.
- Presented a class for the Akron Explorer’s Club.