Today, all sciences - every field within the social and natural sciences alike - offer problems that demand mathematical expertise.
- Core courses provide in-depth understanding of one or more areas in the mathematical sciences.
- Degree program can be tailored to an area of specialization, such as:
- computer science
- social science
- Coursework will prepare you for graduate school or fields such as as engineering, physics, computer technology, business, law, medicine and the social sciences.
- B.S./M.S. Program in Mathematics — this accelerated option enables you to earn bachelor’s and master’s degrees in five years.
- Focus on interdisciplinary research, working with researchers in many different fields.
- Pursue scholarly activities that range from pure and applied mathematics to mathematics education and teacher training.
- Consult with local industry to teach mathematical concepts and challenges from a practical perspective.
- Applied Mathematics Research Laboratory
- General-purpose computer labs
- Access to facilities at the Ohio Supercomputer Center and NASA Supercomputer facilities
Gain practical professional experience through UA's optional cooperative education program in the applied mathematics field of your choice. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school while earning a competitive salary.
Recent Placements include:
- NASA Lewis Research Center
- National Security Agency
- Glidden Co.
- Goodrich Corporation
- General Electric
- Babcock and Wilcox
- Diebold, Inc.
- Telxon, Inc.
- Ciba Corning Diagnostics Corp.
Mathematics Student Organizations
Interact with other applied mathematics students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Mathematical Association of America
- Pi Mu Epsilon (mathematics honorary society)
- Math Club