THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON SCHOOL OF MUSIC
“Training the 21st Century Musician: a Summer Symposium”
Monday-Thursday, June 13-16, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
7500:590:901 - 2 graduate credits
Each day will consist of an opening general session, then break out into specialized sections of your choice, including:
- Social media in the music classroom
- Replacing rehearsal clichés with rehearsal strategies that work
- Assessment in music ensembles
- Steel band for educators
- Enhancing ensemble rhythm and articulation skills
- Marching band: Arranging skills to improve bad pop songs
- Wind band conducting: What are your gestures really saying?
- Wind literature survey: Exploring wind band history
- Middle-level repertoire to make your young band sound great
- Building tone and technique in young brass players
- Student composition in band, choir or orchestra
- Integrating instrumental pedagogy into your band rehearsal
- Correcting saxophonists' common problems
- Solfege boot camp
- Sight-singing for choirs
- Teaching individual learners in general music
- Choral methods tune-up
- Working with the changing male voice
- Introducing part singing for young choirs
- Vocalise for vocal ease
- Diction brush up: What the heck is IPA?
- Learning OMEA contest songs
- Jazz improvisation
- Advanced steel band techniques
- Percussion techniques
- Inside OMEA adjudicated events
- Performing from a digital score
$934.20 In-state graduate tuition and course fee (two credits)
$140.50 Admin/service charges (two credits)
Out-of-state students add $611.76 for two credits.
All workshops graded credit/non-credit.
Grades are available only through My Akron.
Transcripts may be requested through My Akron or in person at Simmons Hall after August 23.
Additional fees/material charges may apply.
Checks should be made payable to THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON.
Please mail to:
The University of Akron
School of Music
Akron, OH 44325-1002
Credit card payments are available through My Akron’s Cash Net. A 2.9% service charge applies.
Call the School of Music office,