New Student Convocation: Sept. 9, 2016
Background: New Student Convocation
The official welcome to the incoming class -- New Student Convocation -- was held at E.J. Thomas Performance Arts Hall on Friday, Sept. 9.
What is Convocation?
This formal event convenes for a special purpose to mark the start of our new students’ academic journey. During this ceremony, new students and the UA community at large were welcomed by Interim President Matthew J. Wilson, introduced to the colleges and faculty, and shared in the UA commitment toward students’ path to graduation. Students also received advice from faculty representative, alumni and Undergraduate Student Government president.
Convocation provides the opportunity to introduce new Zips to our UA community and celebrate our rich traditions and Akron pride. It also affirms the University’s commitment to support our students’ academic aspirations. Students will receive a Zippy pin welcoming them to the UA family.
What was the schedule?
4 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Convocation seating
4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. New Student Convocation
- Welcome (Interim President Matthew J. Wilson)
- Convocation tradition and symbolism (Interim President Wilson)
- Introduction of college deans & faculty (Dr. Rex Ramsier, interim provost)
- Faculty welcome (Dr. John Zipp, professor of sociology)
- Student body welcome (Megan Bodenschartz, president of Undergraduate Student Government)
- Senior video preview (Darnell Davis and Zachary Michel, student Trustees)
- Alma Mater (Willy Kollman / Lauren Corcoran)
- UA fight song (Michael Osborn)
- Closing remarks (Interim President Wilson)
5:30 to 6 p.m. – Reception in Goodrich Lobby of E.J. Thomas Hall