THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON SCHOOL OF NURSING
Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree
For more information about our undergraduate programs, fill out this form, or call 330-972-5103 during normal business hours.
University of Akron students who have completed prerequisite coursework apply through their academic adviser during a specified period of spring semester to be considered for fall admission into the nursing major.
Students must meet the minimum criteria below. Students are separated into categories for admission consideration.
- 2.75 Prerequisite GPA. All prerequisites must be completed by the end of spring semester.
- 2.75 Prerequisite Science GPA (Intro to Gen., Organic, & Biochem I and II lecture/lab and Anatomy & Physiology I and II lecture/lab). Ranking in each admission category will be by science GPA.
No grade less than a "C" in any prerequisite course (grades of "C-" must be repeated; refer to the repeat policy)
Important note: Completion of all admission criteria does not guarantee admission into the nursing major. Entry is competitive.
Admission consideration categories
- Priority Admission Category: Prenursing students who were admitted or transferred to the school before the first day of spring semester, are prioritized by science GPA. (Army ROTC scholarship holders are guaranteed placement in the major.)
- Full Admission Category: All College of Health Professions pre-nursing students as of the first day of spring semester and intended nursing majors still in Academic Advising are prioritized by science GPA.
If College of Health Professions Prenursing students or Advising Center Intended Nursing major students do not successfully complete the science prerequisite courses the first time, they are allowed to repeat the course for a change of grade one time only. Students who take a science course for a third time to earn a grade of "C", will no longer be eligible for the nursing major until the first science course is five years old.
Change of requirements
Without limiting the generality of its powers to alter, amend, or revoke rules and regulation, The University of Akron reserves the right to make changes in degree requirements of the student enrolled prior to the change by:
- Altering the number of credits and/or courses required in a major field of study
- Deleting courses
- Amending courses by increasing decreasing the credits of specific courses
- Offering substitute courses in the same or cognate fields.
More information about the nursing program is available in the Prenursing and Nursing Student Baccalaureate Handbook