Moving guide for students
OCL provides you with guidance and insight on preparations for your move, and things to consider once you're moved in. We are also able to help you be aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and a student.
1. First things first:
Fill out your Change of Address form with the USPS
2. Whom to notify
Preparing for your change of address includes letting the following people/companies know your new contact information:
- Present and future post offices (usps.gov)
- Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov or call 1-800-829-3676)
- State and federal tax authorities and any other government agencies as needed
- Telephone, electric, gas, and water companies
- Banks and credit unions
- Insurance companies and credit card companies
- Magazine, journal, and catalog subscriptions
- Doctors, dentists, and other service providers
- Don't forget to tell friends, employers, and relatives!
*The Postal Service recommends that you complete your change of address form 30 days prior to your move date.
Before packing: it is helpful to take stock of your belongings. Are there ways you can reduce your amount of belongings so that packing and moving is easier?
- Sort through and give away, sell or recycle unwanted things or things you can replace once you move.
Label boxes: It will be less overwhelming to have clearly marked items and room locations for them.
- Check for free boxes at grocery stores and convenience shops that have leftover boxes from their shipments.
- You can purchase a variety of sizes at U-Haul or Used Card Board Boxes.
3. Checklist to make your move easier
Before move-in day:
- Pick up moving supplies including tape, rope, labels, and markers.
- Choose a truck rental or moving service.
- Make your reservations in a timely manner based on the time of year you plan to move.
- Start packing!
- Contact current utility companies to disconnect old place and begin service at a new place.
- Send out change-of-address information.
- If you plan to drive your car for the move, check the oil and fill your gas tank.
- Having your vehicle properly serviced prior to the move can save a lot of time and hassle.
On move-in day:
- Pick up the rental truck. (Call the day prior to your move to verify your reservation.)
- Pack a separate bag with hammer, screwdriver, flashlight, batteries, trash bags, light bulbs and a telephone.
- Be sure to have toilet paper, soap, a towel and first aid supplies.
- Keep track of keys, wallet, checkbook, prescription medications, address book and computer discs.
- Before you leave for your new home, be sure to clean up!
4. Additional resources:
U.S. Post Office "Mover's Guide"
- Pick up a copy of this guide at any U.S. Post Office to get more tips on organizing, packing, and getting settled.
- Change-of-address forms are included in the guide.
- USPS change of address online form
A printable online Resource Manual by OCL to help assist with special services in Akron.