Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Where can I go?

Students can study abroad virtually anywhere in the world, even Antarctica, though it is somewhat dependent on which type of program fits the student best.

How long do students go abroad?

Depending on a student’s comfort level and chosen program, it is possible to go abroad for anywhere from two weeks in the summer to a full academic year.

Must I speak another language?

While students are certainly strongly encouraged to gain proficiency in another language, language proficiency requirements will vary according to the individual program. Many options exist that allow students to study in English, regardless of the language of the host country.

When should I begin researching programs?

It is advisable to begin researching at least one year in advance.

What are the application deadlines?

Application deadlines vary by program. Deadlines for UA exchanges are Summer: February 1, Fall or Academic Year: March 15, and Spring: September 1.

May I work while I am abroad?

In most countries, education abroad students are prohibited from working due to visa regulations, though there are some exceptions. Students should review the visa regulations and requirements of their chosen destination.

Students wishing to gain professional experience while abroad might consider participating in an international internship, though these are only rarely paid opportunities due, again, to visa regulations.

Will I graduate on time?

As long as students plan well and communicate with their academic advisors, participation in education abroad should not delay graduation. With permission from an advisor, education abroad coursework may satisfy virtually any part of a student’s degree program at UA. Moreover, students may study abroad in the summer, if they are unable to do so during the regular academic year.

How many credits should I take while studying abroad?

With the exception of students participating in a summer education abroad program and not receiving any financial aid carrying enrollment requirements, students must be enrolled for at least the equivalent of the minimum full-time load while abroad. During the academic year, full-time status requires a minimum of 12 credits per semester. During the summer, full-time status requires a minimum of 6 credits.

How will my international courses count at UA?

To some extent, this varies according to the type of program in which a student participates. However, with approval, education abroad coursework may apply to any area of a student’s degree program at UA: general education requirements, honors requirements, certificate requirements, major electives & requirements, minor electives & requirements and general electives. Students should consult with their academic advisors to discuss possible UA equivalencies for international coursework. More information can be found here: Obtaining Credit.

How much does it cost?

The cost of education abroad will vary according to the program. For exchanges, the program fee is based upon full-time tuition and fees for the given term, and estimates of the total cost of participation are available on each partner’s description page. When looking at the cost of any program, students should carefully consider what is included in the stated program and what is not included.

Where will I live when I study abroad?

Housing arrangements depend on the program and can include any of the following: hotel/hostel, university residence hall, homestay or private apartment.

Are scholarships and financial aid available for education abroad?

The short answer is “yes;” however, some types of aid may apply only to UA-sponsored programs. My information on financial aid and scholarships can be found here: Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Do I need a visa to study abroad?

Students abroad for a semester or longer almost always will need a visa to study abroad, while students participating in a program of shorter-duration as less likely to need a visa. However, this is dependent on the destination country and, sometimes, on the student’s country of citizenship.

Does OIP help with visa applications?

While OIP can offer advice and answer some questions about visa application processes, we do not facilitate visa applications. It is the responsibility of the individual to ensure he or she obtains the proper visa for their education abroad program.

What kind of health insurance do I need for studying abroad?

All UA students participating in an education abroad program must have insurance that will cover health issues, such as doctor visits, as well as emergency services, such as medical evacuation, for the duration of their time abroad. There are several options for this insurance: Health and Safety.

Whom can I see for more information about education abroad?

Use this web form or call 330-972-6349 to schedule an appointment to speak to an education abroad advisor.

Where is the Office of International Programs?

The Office of International Programs is located in the Polsky Building, room 483.