The mission of the Office of Multicultural Development at The University of Akron is to prepare students to live and excel in a global society. As an advocate for equity and social justice, we ensure that students of diverse ethnic, social and cultural backgrounds achieve their fullest potential in an affirming environment which supports access, retention, and successful completion of goals. This mission is characterized by extensive student-focused collaboration with all segments of the campus community.
The Office of Multicultural Development strives to:
- Support the creation and establishment of quality educational programs for a wide variety of diverse student populations.
- Support and nurture in students, faculty and staff, intellectual growth and openness to a range of diverse ideas and human possibilities.
- Instill in students an overarching sense of integrity and social justice so they may contribute as responsible citizens in a diverse community and pluralistic society.
- Present cultural, social and intellectual activities for campus and local community enrichment.
- The Office of Multicultural Development is the primary advocate for establishing a welcoming environment which focuses on access, retention, and academic success.
- We regard ongoing student assessment as the foundation for engagement and inclusive excellence.