Parents: Welcome to The University of Akron
Welcome! We know this is a strange time we're in. Things are constantly changing, classes are all online for now, and this may be your first child attending college! But we want you to know that this is also an exciting time to have a son or daughter at The University of Akron! With The Office of Multicultural Development, your student will be in experienced, caring and great hands. In our office we offer:
- Full-circle services which include
- First-Year Experience Courses,
- Peer Mentoring,
- Learning Communities and
- Study Tables, just to name a few
We offer these services to your student as a way to support first year students by welcoming them onto campus and assisting them to transition to life at university successfully with full support of our professional and para-professional staff.
In addition to what we offer in 'OMD', the entirety of our campus offers amazing opportunities for your student through:
- Outstanding faculty and staff who are diligent in their service to students,
- the many academic programs that we offer, and
- our revitalized campus, which includes a new Student Union, rec center, stadium and residence halls, which hopefully we'll all get to enjoy soon!
Our students participate in over 250 recognized clubs and student organizations, focused on academics, the arts, athletics, science, music, leadership, service and more.
We are committed to making the transition to college easy for you and your student. We have a number of services available to help students adjust to college life and succeed academically.
We hope that you, as well as your student, will enjoy being members of the Akron family.
Helpful Articles for Parents
- Helping College Students During the Pandemic
- 6 Tips to Being a Successful Online College Student
- Ten Parental Habits That Can Negatively Affect Your College Student