When bad weather affects our operations
In the event of severe weather, we may adjust operations to help assure safety while providing some services to students.
Operations that may be affected by inclement weather:
- Reduced Roo Express shuttle operations
- "Midnight Clear," in which we ask motorists to move their vehicles from rooftops of parking decks to covered space.
Roo Express operations when the University closes
When the University of Akron has to close, the Roo Express will operate on a restricted "Snow Route" schedule from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m., unless road conditions worsen. The Roo Express's primary objective on days when the university is shut down is to transport resident students from their residences halls to and from Rob's Cafe. Check our announcement page on the DoubleMap Bus Tracking App, Twitter, and Facebook for the most up to date information.
Roo Express Snow Route
The Snow Route will make stops at the following locations:
- Across from Quaker Square on Mill Street
- At the corner of Exchange and Main Street
- At the RKP Metro RTA Transit Center off Broadway St.
- At The Depot Apts.
- The Student Union
- In front of Starbucks on Exchange St.
- On Exchange St. at University Edge apts.
- Across the street from Spicer Hall on Spicer Street
- Near Fir Hill Towers on South Forge St.
- At Rob's Cafe near the Honors College
The shuttle will operate on this route from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Additional stops will be added when needed. Check our DoubleMap App/website/Facebook/Twitter for current shuttle stops.
In the event of a significant snowfall, a special rule for plowing will be enacted called “Midnight Clear”. Notification will be sent to all resident students via our Z-Alert text-messaging service instructing them to relocate their vehicles to a covered area of a parking deck.
Vehicles must be returned by 8 p.m. the next day to regularly assigned lots, unless instructed otherwise in the text message. Lot designation enforcement will be suspended at the announced Midnight Clear until the next day by 8 p.m. (all university parking lots in effect become “All-permit” lots campus-wide). This will allow plowing on the top levels of the decks and surface lots in order to maintain a safe environment for the campus community. Any vehicles not relocated for snow plowing will be ticketed.
If you agreed to receive text messages from UA when you applied for admissions, you are already in our text-messaging software. If you did not, sign up for the Z-Alert text messaging service.
City of Akron Parking Ban
When there is significant snowfall the City of Akron may issue a city street parking ban. When a city parking ban is in effect, permit holders may park without an overnight parking sticker under a covered parking deck level and should follow the "Midnight Clear" rules.
Closure of Parking Deck Rooftops
When there is significant snow accumulation, we will close the rooftop levels of campus parking decks until snow is removed. The rooftops will reopen as they are determined to be safe to use again.
Dining Services' Operations
See Dining Services' hours when campus is affected by snow.