Parking News Archive
The MetroZip program begins Aug. 25, allowing all UA faculty, staff and students to ride any regular Metro RTA route free of charge by swiping their valid Zip Cards in the fare box. Details
All student permits are available for pick up in the North Campus Parking Deck at this time. You must be enrolled in classes before you can obtain a parking permit. Students enrolled in more than 5 credit hours on the main campus will have the transportation fee on their account; this fee includes a parking permit. Those student without the transportation fee on their account will need to purchase a permit in the office.
Resident students will need to have their vehicle license plate information submitted to the system before they can obtain a semester permit.
Quaker Square residents will need to complete the gate-card application in the office prior to receiving their parking permit.
All students will need a photo ID to obtain a permit. Overnight validation stickers are sold separately. Feel free to contact Parking and Transportation Services with questions or concerns.
UPDATE ON PARKING PERMIT ENFORCEMENT
Beginning Tuesday, September 2nd, parking permit rules will be enforced for the fall semester. All vehicles should be located in a properly designated area at that time in order to avoid being cited.
As in previous years, courtesy will be given for the first minor offense. However, rather than dismissing the first citation of the semester, illegally parked vehicles will be issued a warning citation for the first minor violation. Warning citations will still indicate the infraction type, but will not carry a monetary fine. Students, employees, and guests will no longer need to contact Parking and Transportation Services to receive their courtesy dismissals; with this change the courtesy is automatic in the form of a warning citation.
Roo Express Adds Rob's Café Route
The Roo Express shuttle will begin operating its new Rob's Café Route on Sunday, August 25th. This route will run from 11 p.m. until 2 a.m. on Sunday through Wednesday evenings, and will aid students in taking advantage of the recently extended hours of Rob's Café. The route will feature stops near the residence halls, overnight parking locations, and downtown Akron. Similar service is available on the Downtown Route on Thursday through Saturday evenings until 4 a.m
Four lots to close for Aug. 30 home opener
The first week of fall semester is always exciting as we welcome new and returning students to campus. Adding to the festive spirit this year, the Zips will kick off their football season under new head coach Terry Bowden with a home game on Thursday, Aug. 30, so it will be our first “Roo Wears Blue” day of the fall — get your Zips gear ready!
Fans on and off campus are looking forward to seeing this new era of Zips football begin, so we expect a high turnout for the game against the University of Central Florida Knights at InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field at 7 p.m.
To minimize the traffic congestion and parking shortages, we have a game plan in place. With everyone’s cooperation, the day, and evening, should go smoothly as we travel to class, our offices, the game and home.
Here’s what you need to know:
- If you are driving to campus after 4 p.m. on Aug. 30, you are urged to arrive at least 20 minutes early to help assure that you get to your destination on time.
- Lots 6, 8, 9 and 10 near the stadium must be emptied and closed by midnight on Wednesday, Aug 29. These lots have been pre-sold for the game and they need to remain clear to accommodate fans. See map.
- Lot 9B will open at 3 p.m. on Aug. 30 for free student tailgating. Only students with valid permits can participate in the student tailgate. See map.
- Vine Street between Union and Spicer streets will close at midnight on Wednesday, Aug. 29, to allow for the setup of ZipsFest. Union Street north of Exchange (between Exchange and Vine) will be closed as well.
- Lots 36, 20, 30, 32, 35, 40, 52 and 71 will be designated as alternative parking on Aug. 30, with a modified Roo Express route providing park-and-ride service. Temporary signs will mark the new Roo Express pickup locations. See map.
- Lots 2, 4, 7, 13 near the stadium will be open to campus traffic until 3 p.m. After 3 p.m, vehicles will be able to exit the lots, but only individuals with pre-sold game passes can enter.
- Lots 14, 15, 27, and 34, normally closed and used as public tailgating lots on game days, will remain open on Aug. 30. Attendants will arrive at 3 p.m., and charge $10 per vehicle for fan tailgating, while students and employees with permits can park free.
- Spicer Street north of Carroll Street will become one-way northbound at 5:30 p.m. Two University police officers will be stationed at the Spicer Street-Buchtel Avenue and Spicer Street-Carroll Street intersections, starting at about 4 p.m.
- 10/19/2017 UA to receive largest gift in its history
- 07/05/2015 Remembering longtime band director Robert Jorgensen
- 11/24/2014 Food for Fines
- Former adventurer and cop begins new chapter as novelist
- Showcasing the next great invention
- Ayer and Crouse Halls to reopen July 22
- National Council on Teacher Quality Report
- Student-designed “app” gives students a playbook for success
- 'Connected Knowledge': UA unveils new ad theme
Total results: 3