Research in the Department of Physics focuses on materials physics and utilizes a wide range of experimental, analytical, and computational techniques. Experimentalists conduct research on surface physics and thin films, dielectrics and ferroelectrics, high-temperature superconductors, polymers and other areas solid-state physics. Theoretical projects include critical phenomena and phase transitions, polymer, semiconductor and solid-state physics.

Admission Requirements

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree in Physics or a related field
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Statement of purpose
  • Resume

Application Deadline

  • March 15 for Fall enrollment (Late applications may be accepted at the department's discretion)
  • Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for Spring enrollment

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.