Graduate Programs in Political Science
The Department of Political Science offers a high-quality graduate program of study in a collegial atmosphere with extensive access to faculty scholars, practitioners, and research opportunities. Graduates of our program are prepared for careers in national security, government administration, campaigns and elections, advocacy, law enforcement, academia, and policy research. Students may choose from multiple degree programs, including:
- Master of Arts in Political Science
- Master of Arts in Political Science - Security Track
- Master of Applied Politics
- Juris Doctorate/ Master of Applied Politics
Admission is granted to students who have met the requirements of The University of Akron Graduate School and the Department of Political Science.
Students will be considered for admissions year-round.
The admissions package requires:
- University of Akron Graduate School application
- $40 fee for domestic students; $60 fee for international students
- Official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- For international students only, official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- 3.0 cumulative grade point average at the baccalaureate level
- The GRE is not required
- International Students only- As determined by the graduate school, international students admitted to graduate study in Political Science must achieve a minimum score of 550 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 79 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL
While most applicants have an undergraduate major in Political Science or a similar field of study, an undergraduate major in another area may be acceptable. However, an applicant should have at least nine hours of upper-level course work in Political Science. Failing this requirement, an applicant may be admitted to the program on a provisional basis.
Through the online application system you can submit your application and application fee electronically. Official transcripts should be sent directly to Graduate Admissions. Any required supplemental materials (letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, etc., should be sent to: email@example.com