Polymer Engineering Academic Center
Native of Sangli (Maharashtra), India
Ph.D., Physics; Shivaji University, Kolhapur, 2004
M. S., Physics; Shivaji University, Kolhapur, 1999
- Combinatorial methods for polymer film preparation and processing
- Self-assembly of block copolymers and polymer patterning
- Carbon structures and patterning
- Sol-gel processing and aerogels
- Superhydrophobic surfaces
Superhydrophobic materials, aerogels, Janus silica films, Polymeric C-MEMS for battery electrodes and cell growth.
Education and Outreach Program with St. Vincent – St. Mary High School (STVM), Akron, OH.
Supervision of Matt Schwenning
1. "Combinatorial Block Copolymer Ordering on Tunable Rough Substrates"
Manish M. Kulkarni, Kevin G. Yager, Ashutosh Sharma and Alamgir Karim
Macromolecules, 45 (2012) 4303
2. "Tuning Molecular Relaxation for Vertical Orientation in Cylindrical Block Copolymer Films via Sharp Dynamic Zone Annealing"
Gurpreet Singh, Kevin Yager, Detlef-M. Smilgies, Manish Kulkarni, David Bucknall and Alamgir Karim
Macromolecules, Article ASAP (2012)
3."Directed Assembly of Model Block Copolymer-PCBM Blend System for Photovoltaic Applications"
G. Singh, M. M. Kulkarni, D. Smilgies, S. Sides, B. Berry, D. Raghavan, D.G. Bucknall, B Sumpter and A. Karim
MRS Proceedings (2012) 1390 : mrsf11-1390-h13-54
4. “Diblock copolymer lamellae on sinusoidal and fractal surfaces”
Amit Ranjan, Manish Kulkarni, Alamgir Karim, and Ashutosh Sharma
Journal of Chemical Physics, 136 (2012) 094903
5.“Directed assembly of block copolymer films: effects of rough substrates and thermal fields”
Manish M Kulkarni, Alamgir Karim, Kevin G Yager
Soft Matter Gradient Surfaces: Methods & Applications, Ed: Jan Genzer, John Wiley & Sons (2012)
6. “Multiscale Micro-patterned Polymeric and Carbon Substrates Derived from
Buckled Photoresist Films: Fabrication and Cytocompatibility”
Manish M. Kulkarni, Chandra S. Sharma, Ashutosh Sharma, Sushma Kalmodia, and Bikramjit Basu
Journal of Materials Science, 47 (2012) 3867–3875
7. “Microfabrication of Carbon Structures by Pattern Miniaturization in Resorcinol-Formaldehyde Gel”
Chandra S. Sharma, Ankur Verma, Manish M. Kulkarni, Devendra K. Upadhyay, Ashutosh Sharma,
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2 (2010) 2193–2197
8. “Synthesis of carbon xerogel particles and fractal-like structures”
Chandra S Sharma, Manish M. Kulkarni, Marc Madou, Ashutosh Sharma,
Chemical Engineering Science, 64 (2009)1536 –1543
9. “Janus Silica Film with Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Surfaces Grown at Oil-water Interface”
Manish M. Kulkarni, Rajdip Bandyopadhyaya, Ashutosh Sharma
Journal of Materials Chemistry, 18 (2008) 1021–1028
10. “Surfactant Controlled Switching of Water-in-Oil Wetting Behavior of Porous Silica Films Grown at Oil-Water Interfaces”
Manish M. Kulkarni, Rajdip Bandyopadhyaya and Ashutosh Sharma
Journal of Chemical Sciences, 120 (6) (2008) 637
11. “Carbon Microelectromechanical Systems as a Substratum For Cell Growth”
G Turon Teixidor, R A Gorkin III, P P Tripathi, G S Bisht, M Kulkarni, T K Maiti, T K Battacharyya,
J R Subramaniam, Ashutosh Sharma, B Y Park and M Madou
Biomedical Materials, 3 (2008) 034116
12. “Generation of Sub-micron Scale Patterns by successive Miniaturization Using Hydrogel”
Apurba Lal Das, Vivek Katiyer, Rabibrata Mukherjee, Manish Kulkarni, Animangsu Ghatak and Ashutosh Sharma
Advanced Materials, 19 (2007)1943–1946
13. “Microstructural and Mechanical Properties of Silica - PEPEG Polymer Composite Xerogels”
Manish M. Kulkarni, Rajdip Bandyopadhyaya, Bishakh Bhattacharya and Ashutosh Sharma
Acta Materialia, 54 (2006) 5231-5240
14. "Transport of Liquids using Superhydrophobic Aerogels"
A. Venkateswara Rao, Manish M. Kulkarni and Sharad D. Bhagat
Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 285 (2005) 413-418
15. "Influence of gel aging and Na2SiO3/H2O molar ratio on monolithicity and
physical properties of water-glass-based aerogels dried at atmospheric pressure"
A. Venkateswara Rao, A. Parvathy Rao, and Manish M. Kulkarni
Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 350 (2004) 224-229
16. "Superhydrophobic Silica Aerogels based on Methyltrimethoxysilane Precursor"
A. Venkateswara Rao, Manish M. Kulkarni, D. P. Amalnerkar and T. Seth
Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 330 (2003) 187-195.
17. “Surface Chemical Modification of Silica Aerogels using Various Alkyl-alkoxy/chloro Silanes”
A. Venkateswara Rao, Manish M. Kulkarni, D. P. Amalnerkar and T. Seth.
Applied Surface Science 206 (2003) 262-270.
18. "Synthesis and Characterization of Hydrophobic Silica Aerogels using Trimethylethoxysilane as a Co-precursor"
A. Venkateswara Rao, Manish M. Kulkarni, G. M. Pajonk, D. P. Amalnerkar and T. Seth
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology 27 (2003) 103-109.
19. "Effect of Glycerol Additive on Physical Properties of Hydrophobic SilicaAerogels"
A. Venkateswara Rao and Manish M. Kulkarni.
Materials Chemistry and Physics 77 (2003) 819.
20. “Hydrophobic properties of TMOS/TMES based silica aerogels”
A. Venkateswara Rao and Manish M. Kulkarni.
Materials Research Bulletin 37 (2002) 1667.
- “Process for generating miniaturized replicas of a 2D or 3D pattern or an object”,
Indian Patent Application No. 522/DEL/2007 Dated: 09-03-2007
Inventors: Dr. Ashutosh Sharma, Dr. Animangsu Ghatak, Apurba Lal Das, Vivek Katiyer, Rabibrata Mukherjee
and Manish Kulkarni
- “Conformal deposition of carbon particles on three dimensional microstructures”,
UC Case No. 2007-541-1
Inventors: Genis Turon Teixidor, Manish Kulkarni, Chandra Shekhar Sharma, Rodrigo Martínez Duarte,
Marc Madou and Ashutosh Sharma
Guest Researcher at National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD (2008-2009)
Project Scientist at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2005-2008)
Astronomy, traveling, photography