Department of Disaster Science and Emergency Services news stories
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Emergency response to Puerto Rico
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Interview on WAKR about Hurricane Harvey
- Federal grant assures national conference opportunity for EMHS students
- EMHS grads are first responders in Texas
- ESPN half-time interview about Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program
- U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral June Ryan speaks at UA
- Students participate in emergency management exercise in Chicago
- Students in Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program visit Ohio Emergency Management Agency
- Emergency Management students and faculty share convention experiences
- 2016 class for new Emergency Management and Homeland Security B.S. Degree
- Area firefighters do real-world training at new University-of-Akron-operated burn center
U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral June Ryan speaks at UA
March 23, 2017
U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral June Ryan, the highest ranking military representative in Ohio and Commander of the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence Seaway region (9th District), spoke to a large group of UA students, faculty, and community visitors on Wednesday, March 22, in the Student Union, Ballroom A.
She discussed how the U.S. Coast Guard prevents and responds to emergencies in the Great Lakes region and the role of the Coast Guard throughout the world. She also shared her experiences working within the Department of Homeland Security, her role as the former Military Advisor to the Secretary of Homeland Security, and the many career opportunities available in the U.S. Coast Guard.
The visit was hosted by the Department of Disaster Science and Emergency Services in the College of Applied Science and Technology, with Visiting Professor Dr. Elizabeth Guran serving as the event’s host.