Department of Disaster Science and Emergency Services news stories
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Emergency response to Puerto Rico
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Interview on WAKR about Hurricane Harvey
- Federal grant assures national conference opportunity for EMHS students
- EMHS grads are first responders in Texas
- ESPN half-time interview about Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program
- U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral June Ryan speaks at UA
- Students participate in emergency management exercise in Chicago
- Students in Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program visit Ohio Emergency Management Agency
- Emergency Management students and faculty share convention experiences
- 2016 class for new Emergency Management and Homeland Security B.S. Degree
- Area firefighters do real-world training at new University-of-Akron-operated burn center
Federal grant assures national conference opportunity for our students
August 16, 2017
Several seniors from our Emergency Management and Homeland Security program will once again have the opportunity to attend a national seminar to jumpstart their future careers.
Their attendance is being made possible through a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency/Department of Homeland Security Higher Education Program, along with other funds.
In 2016, six students were selected to be part of a student team for the National Seminar and Tabletop Exercise for Institutions of Higher Education.
Students who participate in this event attend a workshop designed to sharpen their professional skills while networking with professionals from FEMA, DHS and the FBI.
“To have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and to work with professionals in the field was amazing,” says 2016 participant Taron Slone, who earned a B.S. in Emergency Management and Homeland Security in May. “The networking was great, as there were so many people interested in us students.”
The event will take place Oct. 10-11 at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.