Residence Hall Handbook



Abandoned Property

Personal property left behind or abandoned after a student has checked out of their residence hall room will be disposed of by custodial personnel when the room is cleaned for re-occupancy. 

Regardless of whether a housing agreement cancellation is initiated by the student or the University, when a student does not check out of his/her residence hall room upon cancellation of their housing agreement and personal property is left behind or abandoned, Residence Life and Housing will attempt to contact the student and provide 15 business days to make arrangements to retrieve belongings.  During this time, Residence Life and Housing will not be responsible for any loss or damage — from any cause — to the personal property of the student. If the student fails to claim his/her property within the designated time frame the room will be cleaned for re-occupancy and all abandoned property will be disposed of by custodial personnel. 

Reserved Space

The common social and study spaces inside residence halls and in spaces adjacent to residence halls are generally reserved exclusively for resident students and their guests.  However, there are some spaces that recognized student organizations are able to reserve for small events (25 individuals or less).  To reserve one of these spaces, a request can be made by contacting Residence Life and Housing at and must be submitted a minimum of five business days in advance of the date of the request.  Please be advised that student organizations not directly affiliated with Residence Life and Housing may be charged a fee for space usage.

Groups will be notified via email if their request has been approved.  Reservation priority will be given to Residence Life and Housing student organizations/staff and Fraternity and Sorority Life Organizations.  Student organizations planning an event with an anticipated attendance of more than 25 participants must contact the Coordinator of Residential Co-curricular Programs and Activities to discuss the Large Event Planning Policy. 

Large Event Planning Policy

Recognized student organizations who would like to request a residence hall space designed for group use for an event with an anticipated attendance of more than 25 participants must make that request, via e-mail to no less than 30 days prior to the date requested.  The Coordinator of Residential Co-curricular Programs and Activities will organize a meeting with the student organization to discuss a variety of considerations for the event and determine if the event will be approved.  Considerations include but are not limited to:

  • Scope of the event
  • Police and security needs
  • Food and beverage
  • Use of utilities
  • Sound/Noise


The Department of Residence Life and Housing reserves the right to deny a request for any event if it is determined that the event will interfere with the good order or safety of the residence halls.

For use of one of these spaces, a reservation fee is charged for all groups not affiliated with the Department of Residence Life and Housing, this fee varies by room type.


The Department of Residence Life and Housing exercises an abundance of caution when responding to questions and concerns regarding insects and other pests in University residence halls. Prior to the start of each academic year the University residence halls are inspected and treated if necessary by a team of professional exterminators to ensure that all residence hall rooms, furniture and beds are free from any bugs, pests or other insects. Ensuring the residence halls are pest free prior to the start of each academic year unfortunately does not guarantee that residential students will not encounter insects or other pests throughout the academic year. Residential students are asked to keep their residence hall rooms in good order throughout the academic year

The University exercises the following steps when responding to questions and concerns regarding insects or other pests. It is necessary for students to report questions or concerns about insects or other pests to their RA or RLC as soon as they become aware. When questions or concerns arise:

  • The RLC will arrange a meeting with affected students and roommates to discuss concerns and coordinate additional outreach.
  • A professional exterminator will be contacted and will inspect the room(s), dresser drawer(s), furniture, any additional areas impacted necessary to ensure a thorough accounting of potential pests. Once the inspection is complete the professional exterminators will make any necessary recommendations and execute any necessary treatments.
  • The professional exterminator will then treat the area for 24 -72 hours. During that time the Department of Residence Life and Housing will provide alternative housing arrangements ensuring students are able to continue to attend classes. Residence Life and Housing has treated rooms whenever possible, and in some instances out of an abundance of caution even in cases when no insects or pests were found.
  • Before students return to their original rooms the professional exterminator inspects the area one additional time to confirm there are no persistent threats to the health and welfare of the student.


Health and Safety Inspections

RAs perform health and safety inspections in all residence hall rooms three times per semester (monthly inspections occur in Exchange Street apartments) to check fire safety equipment and the cleanliness of the room.  If there are concerns about the cleanliness of rooms or odor in rooms a health and safety inspection may be performed upon request of a student or at the discretion of the director.  Whenever possible, advance notice is given to residents that inspections will be occurring.  It is preferred, but not required, that the residents are present whenever possible.

The University does reserve the right to enter student rooms to conduct health and safety inspections.

Missing Persons

Any person who believes a current University of Akron student is missing should notify The University of Akron Police Department (UAPD) at 330-972-7123. In the event another University office receives a report of a missing student, that office is responsible for notifying The University of Akron Police Department, which will make the determination as to whether a student is missing.  The University will inform local law enforcement no later than 24 hours after a student has been determined to be missing.

When students move into their residence halls they will be given the opportunity to identify a confidential contact, who will be contacted by the institution in the event that the student is determined to be missing for more than 24 hours.   If a student is under the age of 18 or is not an emancipated individual, the University is required by law to contact the students’ custodial parent or legal guardian no later than 24 hours after the student has been determined to be missing. 

Residence Hall Closing

The residence halls will close immediately following finals and graduation ceremonies at the end of the fall and spring semesters. Additional information about closing procedures will be made available on the residence life and housing department webpage

Residence Life Staff Duty and On-Call Procedures

Every night there will be at least one RA ready to support you and the other students living in your hall. One RA will be on duty nightly in each residence hall or area from 9:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m. A sign posted at each service desk indicates the name and contact information for the RA on duty. During their shift the RAs monitor the halls and spend time with residents. RA duty helps us provide a safe and secure environments for you, and ensures unwanted behavior is addressed appropriately.

There is also professional hall staff on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Professional Staff on-call provides back up and support for the RA on duty in each area.

Room Change Requests

The Department of Residence Life and Housing wants each student to have the best possible residential experience.  If you would like a different room type, different building, different price point, or simply a change of scenery, you may submit a room change request through the My Housing portal in My Akron.  Requests are reviewed and compared with our available spaces.  Residence Life and Housing will do our best to honor your request to move or work with you to identify available options.  Students must gain approval from Residence Life and Housing prior to moving.  Unauthorized room/building relocations are not permitted and are subject to disciplinary action.  It is not our preference to move a student without his or her consent, however, per the terms of the housing agreement, Residence Life and Housing reserves the right to change a student’s room assignment and move students when it is in the best interest of the students and/or the residence hall community.

Roommate Agreements

Living with others has both its challenges and rewards. In order to ensure a positive living environment throughout the academic year, it is important to communicate expectations.  Your RA will encourage you at the beginning of each semester to complete a roommate agreement.

The roommate agreement is a tool to set standards concerning different aspects of living with a roommate. When you complete your roommate agreement, you will decide together how to handle guest visitation, noise, cleaning schedules and any potential conflicts. Clarifying expectations and revising them if necessary helps roommates resolve conflicts on their own.

 If you are experiencing a roommate conflict and you want to try to work it out, here are some tips:

  • Say something to your roommate(s) and try talking out disagreements amongst yourselves. If you have not told your roommate something is of concern to you, it is difficult to expect that they are aware there is an issue.
  • Your RA can assist you and your roommate(s) with attempting to resolve disagreements.
  • Your RLC is also available to assist you in trying to work through these situations.
  • When a situation is unable to be resolved or repaired, Residence Life and Housing will assist with a room change request. Residence Life and Housing wants you to be able to focus on your academics and it is the goal of the department to ensure that students are having a positive experience.  If alternative space is limited, Residence Life and Housing staff will work with students to find the best alternative for them given the space and choices available.

Solicitation or Entrepreneurial Ventures

Solicitation within the residence halls or on residence hall grounds is prohibited.

Bulletin boards in residence halls are reserved for use by the Department of Residence Life and Housing. Guidelines for advertising for events sponsored by recognized University of Akron student organizations on digital bulletin boards can be found at As expressed in the terms of each resident student’s Housing Contract, operating a business from within residence hall rooms, apartments or common areas is prohibited.

Summer Housing

Housing is available during the summer sessions. If you are interested, arrangements must be made with the Department of Residence Life and Housing. The per-night fee for summer housing will be determined each spring semester. Students must be enrolled in classes to be eligible for summer housing. All summer fees are billed to your University account.

Updating Contact Information

When students submit their housing application a variety of personal information is collected including cell phone number, permanent home address, and emergency contact information.  It is important that students keep this information as up to date as possible.  To ensure that the University community, not just Residence Life and Housing, has the most up to date information, please log on to MyAkron to make any updates.  When you make a personal information update in MyAkron, please also contact the Department of Residence Life and Housing to ensure that our records are accurate as well.

Residence Hall Handbook home page