Untitled Document

Housing Accommodations

The University of Akron is committed to granting reasonable accommodations to its rules, policies, practices, or services when such accommodations may be necessary to afford people with disabilities an equal opportunity to use and enjoy their dwellings, as required by federal, state and local law.

A reasonable accommodation may include a change or exception to a rule or policy that is needed because of a person’s disability, or it may be a physical change to a unit or common area. The University of Akron accepts reasonable accommodation requests from persons with disabilities and those acting on their behalf.

In order to be considered for reasonable accommodations in university housing, the student will need to register with the Office of Accessibility using their online form. The Office of Accessibility will most likely ask for the student to have a doctor complete a special form. The Office of Accessibility then informs the Department of Residence Life and Housing what accommodations, if any, the student qualifies for based on their unique situation.