Bierce Library is open.
Here are some of the preparations and modifications in place:
- Library spaces such as classrooms, study rooms, cafe and the tutoring area have been reconfigured according to social distance guidelines.
- The third floor of Bierce Library will be designated for quiet individual study only.
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed at library service points and we have reconfigured and consolidated service points to minimize contact.
The University Libraries will continue to offer expanded access with contactless services:
- The AskUs chat virtual reference service will continue from 8 a.m -8 p.m. Monday- Thursday and Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and some weekend hours.
- We will continue library pickup and curbside service. We have had book and laptop requests and have delivered through the lobby, curbside, and mail.
New equipment is available to assist with online instruction including webcams, which can circulate to any student, staff or faculty member. All of this equipment is available to request through LibCal.
At this time, Archives will be open by appointment from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Science & Technology Library will remain closed. For a complete listing of business hours and information, visit the University Libraries website.
Science & Technology Library
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and continue to provide safe and sanitary library spaces, University Libraries will not open the Science & Technology Library for the fall semester.
Course reserves and other highly used Science & Technology Library resources and expertise will be temporarily moved to Bierce Library.
The entire Science & Technology Library collection will remain available to University of Akron students and faculty with increased digitization of resources and swift turnaround time for resource use or pick up in Bierce Library.
Study rooms in Bierce Library are available for all University of Akron students and can be scheduled online.
- Each study room is equipped with a whiteboard and markers for study purposes.
- Larger learning studios can be scheduled in Bierce Library for socially distanced group study.
Additionally, we are reconfiguring the entire third floor of Bierce Library for individual, quiet study. The space will be regularly monitored to support independent study. All group study will be redirected to a different floor in the library.
For more information about library facilities and services, write to email@example.com.