SCHOOL OF COMMUNICATION
The School of Communication offers both a traditional and an online Master of Arts degree. Continue on this page for information about our traditional offerings for a M.A. degree or see how you can earn your M.A. in Strategic Communication 100% online
M.A. in Communication
Our graduate program in the School of Communication provides a multifaceted academic experience that stresses research, theory-making, and professional development.
We aim to prepare you to prosper in the integrated communication landscape of the 21st century. Our emphasis is to apply theory to practical problem-solving through rigorous methodological training. You will become acquainted with both quantitative, qualitative, and rhetoric criticism methods, and will be able to explore their scholarly and professional interests in topics coursework such as, organizational communication, public relations, health communication, interpersonal communication, and social media.
Our M.A. program prepares you for a variety of career options in media management, training development, public relations, and human relations. Our students have also gone on to doctoral studies at nationally recognized PhD. Programs. .
We accept students on a rolling admissions basis. We recommend applying at least 4-6 weeks prior to the semester you wish to start.
- Meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School at The University of Akron.
- Essay of no more than 500 words outlining reasons for choosing graduate program in Communication at The University of Akron.
- Possess an undergraduate major in communication, journalism or a related field, or complete at least 15 semester credits of undergraduate communication coursework approved by the School.
- International students must meet the requirements of the Graduate School for the TOEFL requirement.
- All materials must be submitted directly to the Graduate School.
- Even though an applicant is eligible for consideration, an offer of admission is not guaranteed.
For additional information or if you have any questions, please contact the School of Communication at 330-972-7600, or our Graduate Coordinator, Dr. Amber Ferris at email@example.com or 330-972-7606.