Counselor Education and Supervision

The School of Counseling at The University of Akron offers a Doctoral Degree in Counselor Education and Supervision with two different tracks: Counselor Education and Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy.

The Counselor Education track teaches students how to advance the profession of Counseling by becoming advanced clinicians, instructors, clinical supervisors and researchers. Graduating students usually gain employment as counselor educators in academic institutions (e.g., colleges and universities), administrators of mental health service agencies (e.g., community mental health centers), and advanced practitioners/supervisors (e.g., doctoral-level clinicians/supervising counselors). The Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy track teaches students to become advanced practitioners, teachers/supervisors, and researchers in the field of marriage and family therapy. Training is based on a relational view of life in which an understanding and respect for diversity and non-discrimination are fundamentally addressed, practiced, and valued.

Admission Requirements

  • Hold a mental health-related master's degree (minimum 3.25 GPA for graduate coursework)
  • School of Counseling application supplement form
  • Three letters of recommendation (departmental reference form)
  • GRE (General test only)
  • Professional resume
  • Interview will be required for all applicants who meet admission criteria

Click here for application materials and contact information.

Application Deadline

  • January 15 for Fall enrollment (only admit for fall term)

Additional Information

The Counselor Education track consists of a 100 credit hour curriculum. Up to 30 credits may be transferred into the curriculum from a previous master’s or doctoral degree program if the graduate-level courses substitute for required coursework needed to complete the degree, if the student received a grade of "B" or better in the courses, and if the transfer of credits are approved by the student’s Faculty Adviser. Other conditions may apply.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.