Graduate (MSW) Field Education Information & Forms
Field Education Information
MSW Learner Notice about Tevera: We use an online platform to complete field documents called Tevera. There is a one-time fee of $203 ($195 plus $8 for credit processing fee). Learners who have paid the fee either as undergraduate learners in our program OR in their foundation graduate year DO NOT have to pay again. Those who need to pay must pay this fee prior to beginning field. Learners will be notified when they are able to register for Tevera.
- Part 1: Online MSW Field Education Website Navigation Experiential Activity | Part 1
- Part 1: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page| Part 1
- Part 2: Online MSW Field Education Website Navigation Experiential Activity | Part 2
- Part 2: Online Teresa Palmer Case Study
- Part 2: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page | Part 2
- Foundation: Example of completed tool
- Foundation: Teresa Palmer Narrative Log
Helpful tips to get you started
- Field Education Basics in a Flash: 2021-2022 Academic Year
- Graduate Field Education Structure
- MSW Field Orientation Quick Overview - Entering & Continuing Students | Part 1 (PDF / PPT)
- MSW Field Orientation Documentation Overview Part II (PDF / PPT)
- MSW Foundation Field Education Orientation Notes (Word / PDF)
- MSW Concentration Field Education Orientation Notes (Word / PDF)
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Interview Tips
- Possible Interview Questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- University of Akron's Career Center: In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you,' including, but not limited to, assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. To find the nearest Webcheck location(s) to complete background checks/fingerprinting, use this link: www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/backgroundcheck
Please note: The university Campus Police no longer offers on-campus fingerprinting and background checks.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation & Treatment of uncomplicated illness & injury;
Immunizations/Tuberculin skin testing; Academically required physical examinations; and
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of this department
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Becky Thomas a check made out to The University of Akron. Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000 & Aggregate - 3,000,000). The School of Social Work encourages all students to purchase liability insurance.
- Applying for a Social Worker Trainee License? Free trainee license available for each academic year while active in your field placement.
Upon completion of online application:
- Contact your field contact person, who will compose an email regarding your application for trainee license along with your assigned field placement, and send to the CSWMFT Board verifying your educational and placement status with the School of Social Work.
- Students can also take a screenshot of their course schedule and send to the CSWMFT Board.
- Students should attach the screenshot or the email from their field contact person to their online trainee license application.
- Field Contacts: Wayne students - Robert Terry | Akron students - Becky Thomas | Lakewood students - Monica Ascar
Field Education Forms
- Graduate Field Application: All entering & continuing students should have an updated application on file. This form is completed & electronically submitted by student learner.
- Prior to Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after review of Agency Roster - No interviews scheduled at the time of required submission of this form.
- After Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after completion of two interviews.
- Agency Acceptance Form: This document requires electronic submission by field instructor/field agency on behalf of students scheduled to begin their field education experience.
- Field At Place of Employment (FAPE) Proposal: This document requires electronic completion and submission by student learner if student is interested in having their field placement at their place of employment.
- FERPA Form: The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act - Link to U.S. Dept of Education allows eligible students certain rights with respect to their educational records.
- VA (Veterans Affairs) Application Form: This is only for MSW students who will be in their concentration field placement. The VA only accepts applications from the Universities. This means no individual applications from students are accepted. For this reason, the application materials (application form, resume, and written statement) need to be emailed to professor Becky Thomas at email@example.com. Applications for VA concentration fall, 2021 MUST be received ONLY by email no later than Thursday, February 25, 2021 by 5:00 PM. If you have any questions about the process, please contact prof. Thomas.
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgment
- NASW Code of Ethics: Read prior to submitting FERPA & Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement Forms
- Agency Response Sheet: This document helps your school in keeping agency information relevant and current.
The submission process for all Field Education documents is done using the cloud-based platform called Tevera.
1. Field student enters information into the system and then signs the document which then submits document to task supervisor, if applicable; if no Task Supervisor, then the document goes directly to field instructor.
2. Field Instructor reviews for accuracy, applies their signature which then sends the document to Field Faculty Liaison.
3. Field Faculty Liaison reviews for accuracy, applies their signature. The Field Contact person will review and note completion once all signatures are received.
Learning Activities & Evaluation Tool (AMFE)
- FAQs Learning Activities
- Directions to complete Graduate AMFE Learning Activities & Evaluation Tool
- Tips in Writing Learning Activities
- Sample Graduate Foundation AFME (pdf / excel)
- Sample Graduate Concentration AFME (pdf / excel)
- Blank Graduate Learning Activities & Evaluation Tool
Documentation of Time in your Field Placement/Practicum
Complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.