Graduate (MSW) Field Education Information & Forms
Field Education Information
- Part 1: Online MSW Field Education Website Navigation Experiential Activity | Part 1
- Part 1: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page| Part 1
- Part 2: Online MSW Field Education Website Navigation Experiential Activity | Part 2
- Part 2: Online Teresa Palmer Case Study
- Part 2: Online Student Agreement Field Signature Page | Part 2
- Foundation: Teresa Palmer Learning Contract- Part 2
- Foundation: Teresa Palmer Time & Task Log- Part 2
- Foundation: Teresa Palmer Student Evaluation- Part 2
Helpful tips to get you started
- Field Education Basics in a Flash: 2018-2019 Academic Year
- Graduate Field Education Structure
- MSW Field Orientation Quick Overview - Entering & Continuing Students | Part 1
- Foundation Orientation Notes
- Concentration Orientation Notes
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Possible Interview Questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- University of Akron's Career Center: In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you,' including, but not limited to, assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available: The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60 for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation & Treatment of uncomplicated illness & injury;
Immunizations/Tuberculin skin testing; Academically required physical examinations; and
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of this department
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Becky Thomas a check made out to The University of Akron. Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000 & Aggregate - 3,000,000). The School of Social Work encourages all students to purchase liability insurance.
- Applying for a Social Worker Trainee License? Free trainee license available for each academic year while active in your field placement.
Upon completion of online application:
- Contact your field contact person, who will compose an email regarding your application for trainee license along with your assigned field placement, and send to the CSWMFT Board verifying your educational and placement status with the School of Social Work.
- Students can also take a screenshot of their course schedule and send to the CSWMFT Board.
- Students should attach the screenshot or the email from their field contact person to their online trainee license application.
- Field Contacts: Wayne students - Lisa Crites| Akron & Lakewood students - Becky Thomas
Field Education Forms
- MSW Electronic Field Application: All entering & continuing students should have an updated application on file. This form is completed & electronically submitted by student learner.
- Prior to Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after review of Agency Roster - No interviews scheduled at the time of required submission of this form.
- After Interview Choice Form: This document requires electronic submission by student learner after completion of two interviews.
- Agency Acceptance Form: This document requires electronic submission by field instructor/field agency on behalf of students scheduled to begin their field education experience.
- Field At Place of Employment (FAPE) Proposal: This document requires electronic completion and submission by student learner if student is interested in having their field placement at their place of employment.
- FERPA Form: The Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act - Link to U.S. Dept of Education allows eligible students certain rights with respect to their educational records.
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgment
- NASW Code of Ethics: Read prior to submitting FERPA & Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement Forms
- Agency Response Sheet: This document helps your school in keeping agency information relevant and current.
- Electronic submission process for all Field Education documents- Diagram
1. Field student electronically submits to task supervisor, if applicable; if no Task Supervisor, submit to field instructor;
2. Field Instructor reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field Faculty Liaison;
3. Field Faculty Liaison reviews for accuracy, sign via checkbox, send electronically to Field Contact person.
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Template - Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Micro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Template - Micro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Template: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Micro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Blank Macro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Template -Macro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- EPAS 2015 Example Learning Contract: Foundation
- EPAS 2015 Example Learning Contract: Concentration (Micro) & Concentration (Macro)
Documentation of Field Hours | Time & Task Logs
- FAQs Time & Tasks Log
- Blank MSW Field Education Time & Tasks Log
- Template - Time & Tasks Log
- EPAS 2015 Example Time & Task Log: Foundation
- EPAS 2015 Example Time & Task Log: Concentration (Micro) & Concentration (Macro)
Student Field Evaluation Forms
Complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.