MSW Field Education Information and Forms
Important- All students should have their UA User id and Password available in order to log on to computers. Field orientations may utilize a blended learning approach- instructional led and self-directed.
- MSW Field Orientation- Foundation Students moving into their Concentration Year - Friday, March 13, 2015, 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Location- The Polsky Bldg, Room 499 Completed
- MSW Field Orientation - Advanced Standing Students Only - Saturday, May 2, 2015, 10:00 a.m. -12 noon, Room 497, Polsky Building Completed
- MSW Field Orientation - Entering (new) Foundation Students & 1st year Part-time students entering their 2nd year - Friday, May 8, 2015, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. or 12:30-3:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. -6:30 p.m. Social Work Computer Lab, Room 411 within the Social Work Office, The Polsky Building. Electronic registration required Completed
- MSW College-wide Orientation - Entering (new ) Foundation students, 1st year Part-time students entering their 2nd year, & Advanced Standing Students, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 8:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m., Leigh Hall, Room 107, Free Continental Breakfast Electronic registration required Completed
PREPARING TO ENTER FIELD EDUCATION: PROCESSES & FORMS
Helpful tip to edit field documents using Word - Once word document is open, go to the top of the page and select View- then click on Edit. Your word document is ready for you to insert your specific student information.
Field Application Process, Schedule, and Forms
- Field Application Schedule -New Admits
- Field Application Schedule - All Continuing Students
- Field Application Schedule- Lakewood Students in First Semester Only
- MSW Field Orientation Quick Overview - Entering & Continuing Students
- Foundation Notes
- Concentration Notes
- MSW Field Application
- FERPA Form
- Prior to Interview Choice Form
- Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgment
- NASW Code of Ethics- Read prior to submitting FERPA & Field Manual/Code of Ethics Acknowledgement Forms
- After Interview Choice Form
- Field At Place of Employment Proposal - (FAPE)
- Agency Acceptance Form
- Agency Response Sheet
- MSW Program Orientation-p.m. Field Session - Incoming Students
- HIPAA Quick Training Module
- Take HIPAA Quiz
Agency Roster - Listing of Field Education Opportunities for Field Practicum
Supplemental Agency Roster - Newer agencies not yet listed on the comprehensive
[Coming very soon! Web-based Agency Roster- We listen to you!]
Welcome social work students to an extensive listing of potential field placements available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- In order to take full advantage of this updated, comprehensive roster, you are encouraged to take a moment and review the format of this document.
- In response to student feedback, we have inserted links to assist you with your search, added a county section, and consolidated four agency rosters into one.
- User-friendliness and relevance are our priority for this document. Your feedback is essential. Please let us know if we met our mark to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identified an agency that is not on this list? no problem Check to ensure that there is a master level social worker available to be your field instructor, this same social worker has been employed at the organization for a minimum of one year and graduated, a minimum of two years from an accredited university.
Section I: Table of Contents - All Agencies in Alphabetical Order
Section II: Agency Descriptions - All Agencies in Alphabetical Order
Section III: All Agencies by County
Section IV: Table of Contents - All Agencies by Practice Area
Please Note: Students interested in a Veteran's Affairs Field Placement- Open for incoming Advanced Standing Students Only - Only Concentration Students (Second Year or Advanced Standing Students) will be considered. Students interested in a Veterans Affairs (VA) Field Placement for Fall 2015 should review the Annual Schedule, read and become familiar with the Social Work Service Graduate Student Program Overview, and complete the Application for Field Experience.
Applications Accepted: Now until Thursday, February 12, 2015* *Documents must be submitted to Professor Thomas by February 12th in order to submit to the VA by Friday, February 13, 2015. No UA applications will be accepted by Professor Thomas after Thursday.
Submit Completed VA Applications to: Professor Becky Thomas email@example.com
- Background Checks/Fingerprinting
Increasingly, agencies/organizations are requesting background checks: A BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks. On-campus fingerprinting and background checks are available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
- Immunizations/Tuberculin Skin testing
Health Services provide General Primary Health Care including:
Evaluation & Treatment of uncomplicated illness & injury;
Immunizations/Tuberculin skin testing; Academically required physical examinations; and
Referral assistance for health concerns beyond the scope of this department.
- Professional Liability Insurance
Social Work students can purchase Professional Liability Insurance through the University for $20.00 per academic year. Hand deliver, Inter-office mail, or place in the mailbox of the Field Coordinator Naomi White a check made out to The University of Akron. Upon receipt and processing of your check, social work students will receive both an electronic version and a hard copy of a Certificate of Liability Insurance (Each claim- 1,000,000. & Aggregate - 3,000,000.). Beginning Spring 2014, the School of Social Work will encourage all students to purchase liability insurance.
- Social Work Trainee License
Applying for a Social Worker Trainee License?* - free trainee license available for each academic year while active in your field placement.*
Upon completion of application, contact Naomi White, your field coordinator regarding your application for trainee license in order for her to send an email to the CSWMFT Board verifying your educational and placement status with the School of Social Work.
*A BCI (state) & FBI (national) criminal records check will be required to obtain your Trainee License - cost ~$60. for both.
On-campus fingerprinting and background checks available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police
Interview Preparation & Acknowledgement
- Sample Introductory Email to Prospective Field Agency/Instructor
- Possible Interview Questions
- Sample Thank you note but I have chosen a different field placement
- Sample Thank you note and I plan to intern at your agency
- Guidelines for Practicum Selection- coming soon
- University of Akron's Career Center -In person and electronic assistance with creating the professional 'you': including, but not limited to, assistance with writing resumes, cover letters, thank you letters, and mock interviewing. A free resource for all students and alumni.
Field Education Manual/Field Syllabi
- Field Manual
- Holiday Policy
- Foundation Field Syllabus
- Concentration-Micro Field Syllabus
- Concentration - Macro Field Syllabus
YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN YOUR FIELD PLACEMENT/PRACTICUM: FORMS
Student Integrative Learning Contract Forms
- FAQs Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Sample Foundation Year Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Micro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
- Macro Concentration Student Integrative Learning Contract
Student Field Evaluation Forms
- FAQs Student Field Evaluation
- Field Evaluation Checklist
- Field Education Checklist- Lakewood Only
- Field Evaluation Instructions
- Foundation Year Student Evaluation
- Micro Concentration Student Evaluation
- Macro Concentration Student Evaluation
- Sample Foundation Student Evaluation
Documentation of Field Time
MSW Licensure Exam Prep Information
Available Immediately for eligible students - Social Work Licensing Preparation Materials – a $275 value only $25. for current UA Social Work Students & UA Alumni- Contact Social Work Office- Janice Cuddy
- Five Comprehensive Study Volumes – covers all major content on the exam as well as test- taking skills & advanced strategies
- TestMASTER – 15 full length online practice exams – 4 month access once activated
- Three Audio CD’s – reduce testing anxiety
- Expert Phone Consultation – one on one assistance via a toll free number
- Pass Guarantee
Required Criminal Background Check - a BCI (state) and/or FBI (national) criminal record checks are available on UA campus -fingerprinting and background checks available-The University of Akron Police Department/Campus Police under $60. for both BCI & FBI.
Other Field Evaluation Forms
Please complete these web-based forms at the end of each semester. No hard copies required.
- Field Instructor Feedback on Faculty Liaison
- Field Instructor Feedback on Field Coordination
Field Liaison Feedback on Field Agency