Select which Master's Degree Program Information you would like to view
- The University of Akron Main Campus - Joint Master of Social Work Program
- Lakewood Campus- Joint Master of Social Work Program
- Quick Link to MSW Field Education Information & Forms
- Quick Link to MSW Program Curriculum
- Quick Link to MSW Program Completion Requirements
- Quick Link to Description of MSW Courses in 2014-15 Graduate Bulletin
Go to page 140 to begin School of Social Work courses
Important- All students should have their UA User id and Password available in order to log on to computers. Field orientations may utilize a blended learning approach- instructional led and self-directed.
- MSW Field Orientation- Foundation Students moving into their Concentration Year - Friday, March 13, 2015, 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Location- The Polsky Bldg, Room 499 Completed
- MSW Field Orientation - Advanced Standing Students Only - Saturday, May 2, 2015, 10:00 a.m. -12 noon, Room 497, Polsky Building
- MSW Field Orientation - Entering (new) Foundation Students & 1st year Part-time students entering their 2nd year, Friday, May 8, 2015, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. -6:30 p.m. The Polsky Bldg, Room 411, Social Work Computer Lab, Social Work Office. Electronic registration required
- MSW College-wide Orientation - Entering (new ) Foundation students, 1st year Part-time students entering their 2nd year, & Advanced Standing Students, Thursday, August 27, 2015, 8:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m., Leigh Hall, Room 107, Free Continental Breakfast
Electronic registration required
- Graduation Ceremony for all Joint MSW Students
Date: Friday, May 1, 2015
Time: Actual ceremony begins 7:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
Time: Class Photo Session 6:00 p.m. (Copies can be purchased at the ceremony)
Location: The University of Akron Quaker Station
Maps, directions, & parking information will be provided closer to event
- Other Important Graduation Information
Tickets: Tickets are not required;
Invitations: Five free invitations provided to each student; No limit to the number of guests students can invite; family-friendly event
Reception: A reception with light refreshments follow the ceremony
The Master of Social Work Program is a joint degree program administered by The University of Akron and Cleveland State University. The Joint MSW Program began in January 1995.
This degree program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
The curriculum of the Joint MSW Program is designed to prepare students for advanced level professional practice in Social Work. The program provides a rigorous intellectual base, an opportunity for effective skill development, and an educational perspective that views human diversity as desirable and enriching to society.
The mission of the Joint
- To prepare competent and effective practitioners to carry out the purpose of the social work profession with emphasis on its knowledge, skills, and values
- To advocate for social and economic justice and human rights, professional integrity, and the importance of human relationships consistent with social work’s history, purpose, and philosophy.
- To partner with and provide leadership to the communities of
Northeast Ohioin order to develop an effective service delivery system to address human needs and enhance experiential learning opportunities.