Master of Social Work (MSW) at Lakewood Campus
*For 2023, the Lakewood Campus will have an Advanced Standing Cohort only. For our traditional two-year MSW program, please apply to our Akron Campus.
How to apply
1. Apply to the Graduate School (click here)
- Complete the online application, submit official transcripts (for all coursework since high school), and pay the application fee.
2. Apply to the School of Social Work and Family Sciences
- E-mail the following (together in one e-mail) to Monica Ascar at firstname.lastname@example.org
(a) the preferred program format form (click here);
(b) essay (instructions below);
(c) current resume; and
(d) (For advanced standing applicants only) undergraduate field evaluation(s)
- Arrange for three (3) recommendations, using the social work recommendation form only (click here), to be e-mailed directly to Monica Ascar at email@example.com
Note: For Advanced Standing, one recommendation must come from your undergraduate academic advisor, program coordinator or director, OR field coordinator, and one must come from a faculty member familiar with your academic performance.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ESSAY:
- Submit an essay of 3-5 typed pages, double-spaced, 1” margins, explaining:
- Why do you want to be a social worker?;
- Why do you feel a graduate degree in social work is necessary to fulfill your professional or personal objectives?;
- Describe your view of diversity in society; and
- Describe a situation in which you were the recipient/provider of help emotionally, socially, or economically, and if/how this situation impacted your desire to pursue an advanced degree in social work.
MSW Application Information - UA Lakewood
- Lakewood MSW Admissions Cover Letter
- Lakewood MSW Admission Guidelines
- Lakewood MSW Preferred Program Format Form
- Lakewood MSW Applicant Recommendation Form
- The University of Akron Graduate School Application
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the admission deadline?
- Jan. 2, 2023: Application to the 2023 Traditional full-time, part-time and Advanced Standing MSW Program begins. (https://www.uakron.edu/graduate/admissions/apply)
- February 1, 2023: Review of the applications will begin for Advanced Standing for Summer, 2023.
- March 31, 2023: Deadline for applications to the Advanced Standing program for Summer, 2023.
- When do classes begin?
- Advanced Standing: June 2023
- Do I need to attend any orientation sessions? Yes, you will need to attend two orientations: Field Orientation & Program Orientation.
- Mandatory Field Orientation: TBA
- Mandatory MSW Program Orientation: TBA
- Wondering about your field education experience?
- Students may complete their field placements in the Cuyahoga area or at agencies throughout the Northeast Ohio area (Click here).
- Can I get social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience?
- This program does not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience. (See CSWE Accreditation Standard 4.1.5).
- Who can I contact for additional assistance? Please contact Monica Ascar at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Lakewood site is at Taft School Building, 13701 Lake Ave, Lakewood, Ohio 44107
The Lakewood library is nearby and designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus and will be delivered to the Lakewood library, 15425 Detroit Ave. Lakewood, OH 44107.