Master's Degree Program Overview- Lakewood Campus
The MSW Program offers:
- Preparation for the advanced practice of social work
- A degree program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Evening courses
- Regional field placements
- Advanced standing program for qualifying students with a BSW
2016 MSW Advanced Standing Application Information - UA Lakewood
- Lakewood Advanced Standing MSW Admissions Cover Letter
- Lakewood MSW Admission Guidelines
- Lakewood Advanced Standing MSW Application Checklist
- Lakewood Advanced Standing MSW Preferred Program Format Form
- The University of Akron Graduate School Application (Deadline: 4/2/16)
* Please note an increase in graduate application fees:
- First time Domestic Applicants: $45
- First time International Applicants: $70
- Reapplication: $45.
- Application for A Graduate Assistantship (Please note: The School of Social Work does not require three additional references when applying for a graduate assistantship. Deadline: 4/2/16)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
- What is the admission deadline? Saturday, April 2, 2016
- When do classes begin? Advanced Standing Program begins June 13, 2016.
- Do I need to attend any orientation sessions? Yes, you will need to attend two orientations: Field Orientation & Program Orientation.
Mandatory Field Orientation: Thursday, May 5, 2016 from 4–6 PM
Mandatory MSW Program Orientation: Advanced Standing Program, June 13, 2016, at the beginning of the class
- What information can you provide about parking? There is a parking lot behind The University of Akron Lakewood campus, but it is not owned by the university.
The parking lot owner charges every car that enters the parking lot before 6:30pm. If you take a parking ticket when you enter the lot, you are required to pay when you leave.
This map highlights additional parking options for students. There are many metered parking options available in the area surrounding the university.
Parking meters are in effect Monday-Friday until 6pm and take quarters only. There are also many side streets around Lakewood that have un-metered street parking as an option.
- Wondering about your field education experience? Students may complete their field placements in the Lakewood area or at agencies throughout the Akron area (Click here).
- Who can I contact for additional assistance? Professor Becky Thomas, Lakewood Coordinator email@example.com or 330-972-5682
Location, location, location!
- The Lakewood site is located at 14725 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107, surrounded by shops, restaurants, and coffee houses. It’s an ideal location to take college courses!
- Parking is readily available at 1415 Warren Road. This location is easily accessible via I-90 and Route 2.
- The Lakewood library is two blocks away and is designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus and will be delivered to the Lakewood library.
"A wonderful opportunity for graduate social work education... We certainly hope you consider this option if you are thinking of furthering your education."
Timothy McCarragher, Ph.D., LISW-S
School Director/Associate Professor