Joint Master's Degree Program Overview- Lakewood Campus
Starting Spring 2014 semester-- the second cohort of the joint Master of Social Work Program at The University of Akron Lakewood campus begins!
- The Lakewood cohort of the Joint MSW Program is in its second year. Both Cleveland State University and The University of Akron will enroll 12 students each to complete the entire MSW program at the Lakewood site.
- The Lakewood Cohort is an intensive four-semester program that begins Spring 2014 semester and continues through Summer 2014, Fall 2014, and Spring 2015 semesters.
- This full-time program will meet two evenings a week for all four semesters.
- Students accepted into this second cohort must agree to attend all of their courses at the Lakewood site.
- Unlike other cohorts of the Joint MSW Program, the Lakewood Cohort classes will be taught in a traditional classroom format, with all 24 students and the instructor situated in the same classroom.
Have your MSW by May 2015
- When can I submit my application for admission? NOW- Applications are currently being accepted
- What is the admission deadline? Note new date-extension provided- Tuesday, October 1, 2013
When will I receive notification of my admission status? After October 18th! Continue to check our website.
- How long will it take to process my admission paperwork? Paperwork will begin processing by October 1st Continue to check our website.
- When do classes begin? Classes begin January 2014
- Do I need to attend an orientation session? Yes.
Field Orientation is scheduled for Friday, November 8th, 6-8 p.m., Room 499 The Polsky Building-Akron campus
Joint Program Orientation - Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 4-8 p.m. Lakewood Campus
Parking information - The parking lot behind The University of Akron Lakewood is not owned by the university. The parking lot owner charges every car that enters the parking lot before 6:30pm. If you take a parking ticket when you enter the lot, you are required to pay when you leave.
Attached is a map that highlights additional parking options for students. There are many metered parking options available in the area surrounding the university. Parking meters are in effect Monday-Friday until 6pm and take quarters only. There are also many side streets around Lakewood that have un-metered street parking as an option.
We want to keep you informed -Continue to check our website.
For additional information
Please contact Professor Becky Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-5682.
Wondering about your field education experience?
Students may complete their field placements in the Lakewood area, or at agencies throughout the Akron area. See Field Education Tab on Left for Calendars, Schedules, and Overall Field Information
Location, location, location!
- The Lakewood site is located at 14725 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood, Ohio 44107, surrounded by shops, restaurants, and coffee houses. It’s an ideal location take college courses!
- Parking is readily available at 1415 Warren Road. This location is easily accessible via I-90 and Route 2.
- The Lakewood library is two blocks away, and is designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus and will be delivered to the Lakewood library.
"A wonderful opportunity for graduate social work education... We certainly hope you consider this option if you are thinking of furthering your education." Dr. Timothy McCarragher, Ph.D., LISW-S, Director/Associate Professor
2014 MSW Application Information - Lakewood Campus
Lakewood MSW Admission Guidelines
Lakewood MSW Application Checklist
Lakewood MSW Admissions Cover Letter
Lakewood MSW Applicant Recommendation Form
Akron Graduate School Application (Deadline extended to 10/1/13)
Application for A Graduate Assistantship (Please note: The School of Social Work does not require three additional references when applying for a graduate assistantship. Deadline extended to 10/1/13)