Master of Social Work (MSW) at Wayne College
*For 2023, Wayne College Campus will have an Advanced Standing Cohort only. For our traditional two-year MSW program, please apply to our Akron Campus.
How to apply
1. Apply to the Graduate School (click here)
- Complete the online application, submit official transcripts (for all coursework since high school), and pay the application fee.
2. Apply to the School of Social Work
- E-mail the following (together in one e-mail) to Dr. Mark McManus at email@example.com
(a) the preferred program format form (click here);
(b) essay (instructions below);
(c) current resume; and
(d) (For advanced standing applicants only) undergraduate field evaluation(s)
- Arrange for three (3) recommendations, using the social work recommendation form only (click here), to be e-mailed directly to Dr. Mark McManus at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: for Advanced Standing, one recommendation must come from your undergraduate academic advisor, program coordinator or director, OR field coordinator, and one must come from a faculty member familiar with your academic performance.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ESSAY:
- Submit an essay of 3-5 typed pages, double-spaced, 1” margins, explaining:
- Why do you want to be a social worker?;
- Why do you feel a graduate degree in social work is necessary to fulfill your professional or personal objectives?;
- Describe your view of diversity in society; and
- Describe a situation in which you were the recipient/provider of help emotionally, socially, or economically, and if/how this situation impacted your desire to pursue an advanced degree in social work.
- Wayne College MSW Admissions Cover Letter
- Wayne College MSW Admission Guidelines
- Wayne College MSW Preferred Program Format Form
- Wayne College MSW Applicant Recommendation Form
- The University of Akron Graduate School Application
Frequently asked questions
- When can I submit my application for admission? Immediately
- What is the admission deadline?
- Jan. 2, 2023: Application to the 2023 Traditional full-time, part-time and Advanced Standing MSW Program begins. (https://www.uakron.edu/graduate/admissions/apply)
- February 1, 2023: Review of the applications will begin.
- February 15, 2023: Priority admissions
- March 31, 2023: Deadline for applications to the Advanced Standing program
- Do I need to attend any orientation sessions? Yes, you will need to attend two orientations: Field Orientation & Program Orientation.
- What information can you provide about parking? Parking at Wayne College is free and readily available in several lots for student use.
- Wondering about your field education experience? Students may complete their field placements in the Wayne County area or at agencies in the Canton-Akron area. Learn more.
- Can I get social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience?
- This program does not grant social work course credit for life experience or previous work experience. (See CSWE Accreditation Standard 4.1.5).
- Who can I contact for additional assistance? Please contact Dr. Mark McManus, Wayne Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- Wayne College is at 1901 Smucker Rd., Orrville, Ohio 44667, set upon 160 acres on the north edge of the city of Orrville. A short drive from home can lead you to an exciting new career or the opportunity for promotion in a field you already love!
- Parking is free and readily available in several student parking areas on campus.
- Wayne College has its own library and is designated as an OhioLink site. Books, articles, and other library materials can be ordered from the main campus as needed and will be delivered to the Wayne College library