Welcome to the School of Social Work, and congratulations on your admission as a pending social work major. You have completed the first step in becoming an undergraduate social work major.
The School of Social Work does not offer direct admission. All students are admitted to the school as pending social work majors and must complete the admissions process also known as the pending process. While pending majors, students complete the required classes and application necessary to become a full social work major.
We have three pending advisors:
- Michele Thornton (Akron campus)
- Lisa Crites (Wayne campus)
- Janice Steinmetz (Lakewood campus)
We are here as your academic advisors to answer your questions and help guide you through the admission process. Best wishes for your future academic pursuits.
|Michele Thornton, MSW, LSW
BA/BASW Coordinator|Pending Student Advisor|Associate Instructor
Office: Polsky 411D
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Lisa Crites, MSW, LISW-S
Janice Steinmetz, MSW, LISW-S
Do you want to be admitted as a full major in the upcoming semesters?
Social Work Admission Application Deadline Schedule
- Fall 2016 (Register in Summer, 2016): Your Application is due Friday, July 15, 2016.
Transfer Students: We designed different rules for our transfer students to ensure the admission process is as stress-free as possible. Please answer the questions to determine your particular application deadline.
- Do you plan to be a full social work major in 2016? (Yes/No)
- Will this semester be your first semester at the University of Akron? (Yes/No)
- Will you attend New Student Orientation (NSO) prior to the application deadline? (Yes/No)
- If YES to the questions 1-3, follow the above Social Work Admission Application Deadline Schedule.
- If NO, your Social Work Admission Deadline Schedule is: two weeks after the date you attend the New Student Orientation (NSO); or the Tuesday prior to the beginning of the semester. (For example, if you attended NSO on 11/2/15, your application deadline is 11/16/15. If you attended NSO on 8/20/15, your application deadline is 8/25/15.)
If you have any questions about your Admission Application Deadline Schedule, please contact your assigned academic advisor.
Major Changes--Beginning with the fall 2015 semester:
- Students who are already declared social work majors BEFORE August 31, 2015 must complete 128 credits.
- Students who are declared social work majors AFTER August 31, 2015 (including all pending and future pending students) must complete 120 credits.
Effective August 27, 2012 two changes go into effect that impact pending social work majors.
1. All students newly admitted into the School of Social Work must earn and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for pending and full major admission.
2. All application essays/autobiographical statements, recommendations, and Request for
Application Review forms must be submitted to Admissions via firstname.lastname@example.org
Pending Process Information and Forms
- Advising Handbook for Pending Students
- Pending Checklist
- Pending Social Work Major Recommendation Form
- Request for Application Review
- Full Social Work Major Admission Deadlines
Did you know?
The School of Social Work has an email address dedicated to the needs of pending social work majors. Questions about entering the school, admissions criteria, application material submission, or any other pending related questions can be submitted to a dedicated email address: email@example.com
Did you know?
Many questions students have about the pending process can be found in the Pending Checklist and Advising Handbook for Pending Majors. Please review the Pending Checklist after receipt of your pending admission email. Pending documents are located on the school's website.
Did you know?
We have a tool to assist you in effectively preparing for your first scheduled Pending Advising Appointment. It is a document with the same name- How to prepare for Your Pending Advising Appointment.