Open Kayaking and Stand Up Paddleboarding
Take advantage of our Olympic-sized pool and informal instruction to hone in your paddling skills and learn new techniques. Offered weekly, open kayaking is a designated time for recreational kayaking and stand up paddleboarding in the ONAT pool. While open kayaking is not a structured course, limited instruction is available. All boats, PFDs (life jackets), and paddles are provided. No experience is required.
Times and Dates
During the fall and spring, open kayaking is held every Tuesday night from 8PM to 10PM. Currently, sessions are not held during the summer.
- Fall 2015: TBD
- Spring 2016: TBD
- University of Akron Students: FREE
- SRWS Members/Faculty/Staff: FREE
- Non-Members/Community: $10/session or $80 for a semester pass. Passes must be purchased at the SRWC Information Office by the front desk. If you are not accompanied by an SRWS member, you can request to be sponsored by an open kayaking staff person. Please use the SRWC main entrance.
Policies and Procedures
- All participants must be at least 18 years old.
- All participants must complete a waiver prior to participating.
- All participants must sign in to each session attended.
- All participants must wear an appropriate Type III or V PFD.
- Personal boats are permitted; all boats must be clean and free of debris. Personal boats may be transported through the side entrance of the ONAT pool next to Parking Lot 10. SRWS staff can direct you to these doors.
- Participants who use a spray skirt must be able to demonstrate an effective and efficient wet exit while using the skirt.
- All participants must follow posted pool rules and all instructions given by SRWS staff.