Fee Appeal Process
Fee Appeals must be submitted within 1 year of the semester in question. Anything older than 1 year will not be considered.
Please allow 4-6 weeks from the date all documentation is complete for our committee to come to a decision on your appeal. The Fee Appeals Committee meets every week on Thursday.
Students have the right to submit an appeal for an exception to the refund policy published by the University if extenuating circumstance(s) exist. In order to be considered for an appeal, the following must be completed:
1. The class(es) in question must have already been dropped or withdrawn.
- Current semester: Complete the official registration/schedule adjustment form.
- Previous semester: Complete the grade change form with your college dean (including retroactive withdrawals), which must be approved by the dean of your college. If approved, the required paperwork with appropriate signatures will be forwarded to the office of the University Registrar for processing.
2. Complete the Fee Appeal Application and send to the Student Services Center address listed.
3. Attach your letter detailing the extenuating circumstances along with the appropriate supporting documentation. ALL supporting documentation must be attached or your application cannot be processed.
4. Incomplete forms will be returned.
The University will consider fee appeals based on:
- Medical reasons for you or a family member (Must be supported by a signed statement from attending physician on official letterhead and must include: dates of service, student unable to attend classes and date when student may resume studies)
- Death of the student or immediate family member (Immediate family includes: spouse, mother father, legal guardian, sibling or grandparent. Must be supported by a copy of death certificate or obituary notice)
- Military duty (Must be supported by a copy of official orders)
Documentation dates MUST coincide with the term in question.
Appeals must demonstrate a significant disruption to the student's ability to
successfully complete coursework.
The University will NOT consider fee appeals based on:
- Failure to read the published University refund policy (found at www.uakron.edu/student-accounts/refunds)
- Lack of attendance in a class(es). Students must process an official registration/schedule adjustment form.
Financial aid recipients: Your financial aid and student account will be adjusted to reflect any financial changes that may result from a successful appeal, i.e. revised charges and revised financial aid. This could result in you owing a balance to The University of Akron for charges paid by financial aid and for any financial aid refund money you received directly but did not earn based on your non-attendance.