The School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology offers an undergraduate (preprofessional) and graduate program of academic and clinical training in speech-language pathology and audiology.
- Completion of the General Education requirements (42 credits)*
- Core coursework in speech-language pathology and audiology (42 credits)
- Students choose between a Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) which has a foreign language requirement (Spanish, German, French, Italian, or American Sign Language) and a Bachelor of Arts - Tagged degree (BAT) for the non-foreign language option
- Electives and Extra Courses - 28-30 credits
- Students are advised to select certificate programs and minors that apply to the fields of audiology and speech-language pathology
- Curriculum Guide - BA (Bachelor of Arts)
- Curriculum Guide - BAT (Bachelor of Arts in Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology-Tagged Degree)
SLPA Core Coursework:
|7700:110||Introduction to Disorders of Communication||3|
|7700:210||Introduction to Clinical Phonetics||4|
|7700:230||Language Science and Acquisition||4|
|7700:215||Introduction to Hearing and Speech Science||4|
|7700:321||Articulatory and Phonologic Disorders||4|
|7700:335||Principles of Audiology||4|
|7700:365||Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism||3|
|7700:366||Anatomy and Physiology Laboratory||1|
|7700:422||Organic Disorders of Communication||4|
|7700:445||Multicultural Considerations in Audiology and
Coursework in human anatomy and physiology, physics or chemistry, psychology or sociology, and statistics are required to fulfill American Speech-Language-Hearing Association standards.
Request more information
For more information, please contact:
School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
The University of Akron
Akron, Ohio 44325-3001
E-Mail: Mrs. Nancy Harris
Current University of Akron students may schedule an advising appointment with Mrs. Harris in the School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology by using this form.
You will need to enter your UAnet ID and password for access to the site. Once you are on the homepage, click on the link labeled instructions. A Microsoft word document will open giving you detailed instructions to schedule an appointment.
Applying to Grad School?
Undergraduate Mission Statement:
The undergraduate program in speech-language pathology and audiology at The University of Akron provides instruction in the basic components of the discipline in order to prepare the student to apply to a graduate program.