Athletic training program goals
The goal of the program is to provide athletic training students with comprehensive training through coursework and clinical experiences in the areas of:
- Risk Management and Injury Prevention
- Pathology of Injury and Illness
- Orthopedic Clinical Examination and Diagnosis
- Medical Conditions and Disabilities
- Acute Care of Injuries and Illnesses
- Therapeutic Modalities
- Conditioning and Rehabilitative Exercise
- Psychosocial Intervention and Referral
- Nutritional Aspects of Injuries and Illnesses
- Health Care Administration
- Professional Development and Responsibility
A Curriculum Guide has been developed to provide you with the proper sequencing of courses to ensure that you meet all academic requirements of The University of Akron, College of Education, and the Athletic Training Education Program.
- Employ exemplary faculty and staff to deliver the highest level of instruction using the best available resources.
- Offer students a variety of quality clinical sites that provide valuable quality experiences for students.
- Recruit and retain diverse and quality health care professionals as preceptors.
- Provide learning environments that foster student learning.
- Demonstrate professional written and oral communication skills to interact with healthcare professionals and patients in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrate evidence-based practice and critical thinking skills to be an effective athletic trainer.
- Demonstrate moral, ethical, legal behaviors of personal and professional integrity in order to deliver effective health care.
- Demonstrate competence in knowledge, skills, and abilities consistent with appropriate program sequencing.
- Exceed university goals in regard to graduation and retention rates.
- Socialize students into the profession of athletic training through extracurricular activities that promote leadership and professional development.
- Students will score on the BOC exam in a range that is comparable to national average scores.
- Graduates will be employable or seeking further education in a health-related field.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for graduation:
- Have obtained FULL admittance into the College of Education.
- Successfully complete all University of Akron requirements.
- Successfully complete all required Athletic Training Education Program coursework and clinical education.
- Pass all designated Athletic Training education courses with a "C" or better.
- Possess a minimum over-all GPA of 2.75.
- Have completed all Athletic Training Education Competencies & Proficiencies.
- Complete exit interview with ATEP faculty.
- Complete exit evaluations of the Athletic Training Education Program.