Chapters within the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) conduct membership intake, which is different from the recruitment process used by IFC fraternities or PHC sororities. Membership intake can occur at any time throughout the academic school year and is not coordinated by NPHC.
At the beginning of Fall semester, NPHC sponsors “Meet the Greeks”, which is an open forum for interested individuals to learn information about UA’s 2 NPHC fraternities and 3 NPHC sororities. At this program, interested students will spend time with each organization. We recommend attending this program, as it is a great way to learn more about each organization and UA’s NPHC community.
If you are interested in joining one of our 5 NPHC organizations be sure to attend programs and events during NPHC Week this Fall! It’s never too early to learn what our NPHC organizations have to offer!
How do I join a NPHC Organization?
- Our 5 NPHC organizations will hold their membership intake process at different times throughout the year. Start learning about UA’s organizations by doing your research. You will want to know all you can about a specific organization prior to expressing interest in joining.
- Organizations will hold informational meetings throughout the academic year. These meetings will enable one to learn more about an organization while getting specific questions answered.
- Most of the organizations hold intake in the spring semester, however, a few conduct the intake process in the fall.
Requirements to join a NPHC organization:
- Students need to have completed at least 12 credit hours at the University level.
- Students need to have at least a 2.3 cumulative GPA at the University of Akron.
- Student must be a University of Akron student enrolled full-time in classes (12 credit hours or more).
- Students are encouraged to have a commitment to community service, through on-going service in the surrounding community
- Students are encouraged to be involved on-campus or in the community. Holding leadership position in other student organizations is looked highly upon.
- Students often need letters of recommendations that reflect their commitment to academic achievement and service. These letters typically cannot be from a family member.
Upcoming NPHC Week Events:
- Come support NPHC Week, Monday August 31 - Thursday September 3 & Community Service Saturday September 24, 2015:
- Monday August 31--“PIE-A-GREEK”| SU Starbucks 11:00-2:00pm
- Tuesday September 1--“MEET THE GREEKS”|SU Ballroom 7:00-9:00pm
- Wednesday September 2--“GAME NIGHT”| SU Game Room 8:00-10:00pm
- Thursday September 3--“MOVIE NIGHT”| SU Theater 8:00-10:00pm
During movie night we will be showing the movie Schools Daze and having an open discussion on the current stereotypes associated with NPHC organizations. We ask that you bring any questions you would like to have answered as well!
- Saturday, September 12, 2015 we will be completing community service on campus follow our page instagram for local updates and much more!