Alternative Spring Break 2020
ASB participants will have the opportunity to give back to a community or agency in need outside of the Akron area. Students will interact with fellow UA students and together, will work to achieve the common goals and tasks of their assigned trip. Participants will experience a rewarding service opportunity that may take you out of your comfort zone, but we hope you will walk away from the trip with a renewed sense of UA community pride and commitment to volunteerism.
Social Justice issues this year range from working with youth, to working with the environment, to homelessness, and many more. Don’t miss out on all of the fun and excitement this year!
Alternative Spring Break 2020 trip locations to be announced Fall 2019.
Apply to be a 2019 Alternative Spring Break Student Leader!
Alternative Spring Break Student Leaders are selected by the serveAkron staff to assist in creating ASB informational material, facilitating group activities, and developing leadership skills. It provides an opportunity for self-reflection and personal and professional development, tools to initiate meaningful conversion, and guidelines to lead their peers to impact a community.
Student Leaders will serve as liaisons, decision makers, and assistants for the planning and duration of the ASB trip. This position will provide you with a valuable leadership experience and this position will be essential in order for our trips to be beneficial and impactful for all of our participants. Student Leaders will be exactly what their title reflects….leaders!
To be considered, interested students must have applied for ASB 2019 on OrgSync, paid their $75.00 deposit, and answered the ASB Leader-related questions within the ASB Application.
ASB Student Leader Outcomes
- Equip students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to lead a group of their peers through activities and educational material for a successful service trip.
- Facilitate meaningful reflection and team building activities
- Assist the Trip Advisors with organizing and other planning material related to trip logistics
- Provide an opportunity for self-reflection and personal and professional development for student site leaders.
- Understand their own work styles and capitalize on their strengths while becoming aware of areas for further growth and development
- Gain and utilize transferable skills including communication, conflict & time management, teamwork, and collaboration
- Provide a framework through which students will learn to address pressing societal issues and initiate meaningful conversation about ways to impact a community.
- Think critically about their own philosophy of service and how it is shaped by their positions of power, privilege and oppression within a community
- Articulate and navigate the positive and negative implications of short-term service
Provide thoughtful insight about the who, the what, and now what
ASB Student Leader Expectations
SLs are expected to:
- Complete all projects outlined in the curriculum and effectively present them to ASB group
- Familiarize and understand the mission, programs, and projects for ASB trip
- Attend scheduled meetings and arrive on time for meetings
- Maintain a professional, friendly, respectful, helpful, supportive and team-like atmosphere among ASB participants, Trip Advisors, and nonprofit partners
Alternative Spring Break Trips, held during the week of Spring Break, are designed to raise awareness of social issues and injustices through educational and volunteer focused opportunities. Alternative Break Trips provide a variety of low cost, 5-day service experience. Teams of students ranging from 20-50 will be grouped together and assigned to a service opportunity that has been organized through serveAkron.
ASB participants will be afforded the opportunity to give back to a community or agency in need. Students will interact with fellow UA students and together, will work to achieve the common goals and tasks of their assigned trip. You will experience a rewarding service opportunity that may take you out of your comfort zone, but we hope you will walk away from the trip with a renewed sense of UA community pride and commitment to volunteerism. Students that wish to take on a leadership role can specifically do so by expressing interest to serve as a Student Leader.
Alternative Spring Break trips are open to all students registered students at The University of Akron. Participants will be required to attend two designated trainings before the trip and will be held accountable to the guidelines and policies of the program.
An ASB trip costs $325.00 and includes all of your transportation, lodging, recreational, and food costs! The trip payments include a $75.00 non-refundable application fee and from there a schedule of payments will be determined. All payments are coordinated through a cashnet site provided by the University.