Student Leadership Resources
One of the main objectives for the SOuRCe is to help develop strong student leaders. The SOuRCe provides a variety of outlets and means of leadership development engagement for our student organizations. Below are a few important documents and resources that we hope will help you manage your organization!
The SOuRCe provides yearly updates to the Registered Student Organization Manual. Please refer to the documents below for important policies and clarification on processes.
Main Objectives for the SOuRCe
- Develop strong student leaders
- Provide leadership development
- Enhance knowledge of group dynamics
- Develop purposeful connections
- Assist students in finding student organizations that align with their personal interests
- Promote understanding of University resources, policies and procedures
- Leadership Retreats are required for recognized groups at The University of Akron to become an officially registered organization on campus. These retreats provide student organization leaders the opportunity to learn more about University policies, SOuRCe programs and resources, and financial information.
- Involvement Fairs are a way for students to network with student organizations. The involvement fairs held throughout the year offer students a glimpse into great ways to get involved on campus and to learn about what the student organizations have to offer at The University of Akron. RooFest is The University of Akron’s largest involvement fair and takes place in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union during New Roo Weekend. Fall and Spring Involvement Fairs are smaller involvement fairs held in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union.
- Organizations can also use the RooConnect messaging capabilities to e-mail their members.
Workstation and Storage Space
- Student organization pods and storage cabinets are located within the Jean Hower Taber Student Union’s Department of Student Life. These spaces are allocated on a one-year cycle each academic year.
- The SOuRCe offers training for presidents, advisors, and all other officers! Training sessions are an opportunity for student leaders and advisors to learn about requirements, responsibilities, and resources available to registered student organizations.
- We provide a variety of trainings in the beginning of each semester – some of which are mandatory based on registration.
- The SOuRCe also offers individualized workshops that can be customized to your organization's needs or you’re welcome to join us at a pre-planned in-person training.
- We have a trained staff that can provide various leadership and organization management training for your group –contact us for more information!
- To set up a training or attend an upcoming session, contact us at 330.972.2483 or email@example.com.
Event Spaces and Catering
- Student organizations can reserve meeting and event spaces in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union at a discounted rate.
- View event spaces in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union
- If you are looking to plan an event outdoors, please visit the SOuRCe for the correct form and process – requests must be received at least ten business days in advance
- Student organizations are required to follow the University’s policies and procedures when utilizing space or taking part in other activities.
- The University of Akron has a contract with Coca Cola to provide the opportunity for student organizations to benefit from FREE products. Organizations interested in taking advantage of this program are asked to request items of their choice at least ten business days prior to your planned event. The request form can be found on RooConnect.
Market your Organization!