Information About the Institute for Akron Mentors
Do you want impact the lives of soon-to-be high school seniors by developing and assisting their personal growth through the transition from high school to college? Do you want to have the chance to work with a great staff and develop yourself as a leader at Akron? Would you like to get a paid mentorship that looks great on your résumé? If you answered yes, you need to consider becoming an Oelschlager Summer Leadership Institute Mentor.
Thanks to generosity of Jim and Vanita Oelschlager, The University of Akron is continuing its 15th year of the Oelschlager Summer Leadership Institute designed to enhance the leadership and academic performance of 48 area high school students.
The 2015 OSLI will be from June 19-25, 2015. Mentors must be available June 16-26.
Oelschlager Summer Leadership Institute Mentorship Program
The Department of Student Life is continuing the tradition of the Oelschlager Summer leadership Institute (OSLI) by providing mentorship opportunities for eight (8) University of Akron students. OSLI Mentors directly relate to and work with the program's participants. They have the opportunity to form close relationships with a staff as well as serve as role models to high school students. They have an active role in facilitation of small groups, problem solving, and team building.
The Oelschlager Summer Leadership Institute is designed to empower a group of high school students by introducing them to the requisite skills, attitudes, and resources for success in college. This fun, challenging seven-day experience will encourage Summer Institute participants to adopt habits and utilize resources useful to becoming high-achieving collegiate leaders and scholars.
OSLI is searching for eight (8) University of Akron students to assist with this wonderful experience. Mentors must be current students that are planning to return in the Fall 2015 semester. They should be actively engaged in The University of Akron through classroom experiences, co-curricular involvement, and school spirit. During the Institute, room and board are provided and Mentors are required to live on campus during this time. The mentorship experience provides a stipend as well as all the costs of food during the program.
What is Required
- Attending all meetings towards the second half of the Spring 2015 semester
- Attend training sessions the week before the Institute (June 16-19)
- Live on campus in provided housing for the seven-day program
- Assist with the implementation of the Institute's curriculum and program
- Facilitate small groups of high school students
- Assist Institute Directors with all phases of the Oelschlager Summer Leadership Institute
- Present at least one program during the Institute
- Assist and develop with team building and social activities
- Share on-duty responsibilities in the residence hall
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed
- Monthly contact through December with mentees
- Provide encouragement, support and resource information to mentees
- Develop and execute reunion activities for Fall 2015
- Mentors will be employed from June 2015-December 2015.
Successful candidates should be:
- Enrolled at The University of Akron with a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Returning to Akron in Fall 2015
- Completed 32 credit hours
- Demonstrate campus leadership and/or community involvement.
- During the Institute, holding employment outside the internship is not feasible due to the unpredictable time constraints of the internship.
Mentor Job Application
Please return your completed application to Aysen Ulupinar at Ritchie Residence Hall front desk or by email at OSLIUAkron@gmail.com.
Applications are due March 2nd, 2015 by 5:00pm. Interviews will begin the March 9th, 2015. All applicants must be available for meetings before the end of Spring 2015 and during Fall 2015 for reunion planning. Specific dates will follow.Click here to download the Oelschlager Mentor Application.
For more information, contact Aysen Ulupinar or Brandon Mikulski at 330.972.5288 or OSLIUAkron@gmail.com.
2015 OSLI Institute Directors:
Aysen Ulupinar, Residence Life and Housing
Brandon Mikulski, Residence Life and Housing