Department of Student Life Area Descriptions
Interested in working in the Department of Student Life? Click on the department name below to learn about each area.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, Administration Desk employees assist with administrative responsibilities, create reports, perform general duties as requested, respond to Student Union and Department inquiries, and provide outstanding customer service to all guests and visitors.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Business Office supplies day-to-day services to Department of Student Life staff members revolving around financial paperwork processing.
- Located in the Center for Service and Leadership (Student Union, Room 130), Campus Programs plans and coordinates large scale programming and collaborative efforts for The University of Akron. These campus-wide programs include Diversity Week, Homecoming, Alcohol Awareness Week, World AIDS Day, Black History Month, Women’s History Month, the LIFE Awards, and SpringFest.
Civic Engagement (serveAkron):
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, serveAkron offers students opportunities to participate in a variety of service events and programs. serveAkron encourages students to give back to their local community through hands-on service, donation drives, and days/weeks of awareness.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Roo Lounge provides entertainment, including bowling and billiards, for all students, faculty, staff, guests, and visitors.
Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life:
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Office of Greek Life Programs supports the 24 fraternities/sororities, the IFC, PHC, NPHC governing councils and the three Greek honoraries. The Office of Greek Life Programs plans all major Greek Life events, ranging from leadership retreats to Songfest. The Office also helps to connect interested students with recruitment events for individual organizations.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Information Center assists in greeting and directing internal and external visitors throughout the Student Union facility. Administer laptop check-in/check-out procedures.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the maintenance area is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of the entire Student Union facility. Responsibilities of the Maintenance area include care of lighting, painting, plumbing, carpentry, equipment repair, preventive maintenance, and electrical.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Marketing area is responsible for the design of various print materials that are used by the Department of Student Life and registered student organizations.
Office of University Scheduling:
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Office of University Scheduling works with students organizations, University departments and external clients to help them schedule and plan events in the Student Union and other areas on campus. In addition, University Scheduling administers the campus wide scheduling system 25Live.
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the Operations Crew provides assistance with cleaning the Student Union facility, completing setups for all meetings/ programs as well as the preparation of all audio/visual needs within the Student Union. Additional responsibilities include routine building checks and the facilitation of all emergency procedures for the facility.
Student Organization Resource Center (SOuRCe):
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, the SOuRCe is an acronym for the Student Organization Resource Center. The SOuRCe is considered the one stop shop for over 230 registered student organizations. The SOuRCe handles all student organization account inquiries and provides programming events for student organization members. The SOuRCe also helps students get involved in organizations on campus and oversees all student organization inquiries and questions.
Zips Programming Network (ZPN):
- Located on the first floor of the Student Union, ZPN is an acronym for Zips Programming Network. ZPN is a major student organization at The University of Akron that plans regularly-scheduled events stimulating, educating, and entertaining the students, faculty and staff at the University of Akron and the surrounding community. Being a part of ZPN enhances your collegiate experience through leadership opportunities, exciting possibilities, and FUN!
Interested in working in the Department of Student Life?
All interested applicants must submit a completed Department application to Student Union Room 130. All applications remain on file for 6 months; however, applicants are encouraged to submit new applications for specific Department searches.
For more information or questions, click the Contact Us or visit us in the Student Union, Room 130.
The Department of Student Life is committed to building community through collaborative learning experiences that provide our students the opportunity to:
The Department of Student Life
Connect with Student Life...