Applying for Financial Aid
1. Obtain a federal PIN (Personal Identification Number)
- The PIN acts as your electronic signature on the FAFSA.
- Create your PIN at pin.ed.gov.
2. Submit the FAFSA - (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- FAFSA is available online at fafsa.gov.
- The University of Akron's Federal School Code is 003123.
3. You will receive your SAR (Student Aid Report) from the U.S. Department of Education
- The SAR summarizes the information you provided on the FAFSA and indicates your Expected Family Contribution, which will help determine your need.
- If you've made a mistake on your FAFSA, you can make corrections at fafsa.gov.
4. UA will receive your FAFSA information from the U.S. Department of Education
- You will receive notification by mail once UA has received your FAFSA information.
5. Provide required documents
- New students need to complete a Master Institutional Aid Application.
- If you've been selected for verification, return the requested materials.
- Continuing students who have not been selected for verification, skip to step 6.
6. Aid is awarded
- You will receive an Award Notification by mail.
- If you have your UANet ID, you may also log in to My Akron to review your financial aid online.
- If changes are made to your aid, all updates will be made to My Akron only, not by mail.
7. Complete the process
- Accept or decline your aid in My Akron
- After accepting your aid:
8. Check the status of your aid
- You can view your student account in My Akron's Finances section.
- Qualifying students who have financial aid that exceeds the amount due will be issued a refund by check or direct deposit after aid is disbursed. Learn more about refunds.
- Make sure your mailing address is correct! Use My Akron to verify and update your address.