Math Placement Testing For University of Akron Students
Placement testing helps determine the appropriate first course for you to take in the University of Akron’s course sequence. Your ACT/SAT scores and choice of major determine your placement testing requirements. Not every student will be required to take placement tests, each student is evaluated on an individual basis.
You will receive your specific placement testing requirement via email no more than three business days after receiving your Advising & Registration Confirmation Email containing your orientation date. This email will be sent to all email addresses on file, including your UA email address. Your placement exam(s) must be completed prior to your Advising & Registration program. Failure to complete any exam(s) prior to your Advising & Registration program could result in a delay in your course registration.
Please see the information below regarding each specific test. If you are an incoming student and have questions regarding your placement testing requirement, please email email@example.com with your name, student ID number (7 digits, no letters), and specific question.
About the Math Placement Tests:
- Math Placement exams at the University of Akron have been designed by UA Mathematics faculty. We use Möbius software to deliver these custom placement tests. The results of your tests will be used for your math course placement.
- For incoming students, placement testing scores will be reviewed and discussed during a student’s Advising & Registration day with their academic advisor.
- For current students, please allow at least one week for your placement test scores to be available to your academic advisor.
- Adult, International, or non-traditional students without current SAT/ACT scores may need additional math placement testing. Please review your scores with your academic advisor to see if additional testing is necessary.
- Each math placement test contains 25 - 32 questions.
- Scratch paper/pencil is permitted during the math placement test. Calculators are not permitted during the math placement test.
- Each test has a time limit of 90 minutes.
Why do I need testing?
You are required to take the Math placement exam prior to your Advising & Registration program if one of the following applies:
- Your math score is 18 or below (ACT)/490 or below (SAT-Redesigned), regardless of major
- You are majoring in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Applied Math, or Business (except Finance) and your math score is 23 or below (ACT)/570 or below (SAT-Redesigned)
- You are majoring in another STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math/Medical) field and your math score is 20 or below (ACT)/420 or below (SAT-Redesigned)
- You are majoring in Engineering and your math score is 27 or 640 or below (SAT-redesigned)
- You are majoring in Finance or Economics you are required to take the exam regardless of your ACT/SAT score to confirm your math placement
- exam regardless of your ACT/SAT score to confirm your math placement
How do I complete?
- Math placement tests can be taken online from home through the link below.
- Please note that calculators are not permitted for math placement tests, however you may use scratch paper and pencil.
- *Download a Printable Handout with Detailed Instructions for Taking the Math Placement Test *
- Your User Login is your UAnet ID (for example; abc1).
- Your password is the first 5 digits of your UA Student ID number (7 digits, no letters).
- You will only have one attempt to complete your math placement test remotely (from home). Do not click "Submit Assignment" until you have completed all of the test questions. To move to the next question click the "Next" button. You may have an additional attempt(s) to complete the test but only in a proctored test environment in the Computer Based Testing Lab on campus.
- Please allow at least one week for your placement test scores to be available to your academic advisor.
- Click here to login into the Math Placement Test.
Do you need testing accommodations?
If you have a disability and require accommodations to complete the placement tests, you must contact the Office of Accessibility no later than one month prior to when you intend to complete the exam(s). Please note: Appropriate documentation of your disability must be provided prior to receiving accommodations. Documentation Guidelines can be found here: http://www.uakron.edu/access/students/registering/guidelinesdoc.dot
Statement of Compliance: Pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, The University of Akron does not discriminate against any student, because of a disability and does not exclude any qualified student with a disability from participation in or from receiving the benefits of the services, program, or activities of the University.
Please be aware that the process for requesting academic accommodations is separate. For more information on that process, you can visit this website: http://www.uakron.edu/access
For additional information contact:
Jessica DeFago, MA
Office of Accessibility
The University of Akron