Due to campus closure, Reading, Writing, and Computer Literacy Placement Testing for incoming UA students may not be available. Please complete this form so staff may contact you to arrange testing when available.
All other placement testing can be completed as usual. Follow these links for further information:
Writing Placement Testing For University of Akron Students
Placement testing helps determine the appropriate first course for you to take in the University of Akron’s course sequence. Your ACT/SAT scores and choice of major determine your placement testing requirements. Not every student will be required to take placement tests, each student is evaluated on an individual basis.
You will receive your specific placement testing requirement via email no more than three business days after receiving your Advising & Registration Confirmation Email containing your orientation date. This email will be sent to all email addresses on file, including your UA email address. Your placement exam(s) must be completed prior to your Advising & Registration program. Failure to complete any exam(s) prior to your Advising & Registration program could result in a delay in your course registration.
About the Test
- The writing test is administered using the Accuplacer testing system. The writing test is an adaptive test and does not have a set number of questions. The results of your test will be used for your writing/English course placement.
- For incoming students, placement testing scores will be reviewed and discussed during a student’s Advising & Registration day with their academic advisor.
- For current students, please allow at least one week for your placement test scores to be available to your academic advisor.
- Writing tests generally take 45 - 60 minutes.
Why do I need testing?
You are required to take the Writing placement exam (Writeplacer) prior to your Advising & Registration program if one of the following applies:
- Your ACT English score is 17 or below
- Your SAT (redesigned) evidence based reading and writing score is 430 or below
How do I complete my testing?
- Writing Placement Tests must be taken in-person on main campus at Computer Based Assessment and Evaluation, in Shrank Hall North 152, or at Wayne College or Medina County University Center.
- If you are an incoming student and have questions regarding your placement testing requirement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student ID number (7 digits, no letters), and specific question.
Do you need testing accommodations?
If you have a disability and require accommodations to complete the placement tests, you must contact the Office of Accessibility no later than one month prior to when you intend to complete the exam(s). Please note: Appropriate documentation of your disability must be provided prior to receiving accommodations. Documentation Guidelines can be found here: http://www.uakron.edu/access/students/registering/guidelinesdoc.dot
Statement of Compliance: Pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, The University of Akron does not discriminate against any student, because of a disability and does not exclude any qualified student with a disability from participation in or from receiving the benefits of the services, program, or activities of the University.
Please be aware that the process for requesting academic accommodations is separate. For more information on that process, you can visit this website: www.uakron.edu/access
For additional information contact:
Jessica DeFago, MA
Office of Accessibility
The University of Akron