Answers about transferring to Akron

Who is considered a Transfer Student?

A Transfer Student is a student applying for admission to The University of Akron (UA) who has formerly attended another regionally accredited institution of higher learning. A student is also considered a Transfer Student if he/she attended UA after high school, transferred to another school, and is returning to UA.

What are the conditions for Transfer Admission?

The transfer student must provide UA Admissions with a transcript from his/her former institution. The assessment of the transcript may include consideration of prior courses, grade point average (GPA), credit value, and other academic factors that the university uses to evaluate, rank, or otherwise determine admissibility to the University of Akron in general, to its specific colleges, and/or to specific programs within those colleges. The admissions policy encourages receiving institutions (in this case and from here on, UA) to give preferential consideration for admission to students who complete the Transfer Module and either the Associate of Arts or the Associate of Science degrees. These students can transfer all courses for which they received a passing grade of D or better. Students must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 to be given credit for the Transfer Module. The admissions policy also encourages receiving institutions (UA) to give preferential consideration for admission to students who complete the Transfer Module with a grade of D or better in each completed course and 90 quarter hours or 60 semester hours at their former institution(s). Students must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 to be given credit for the Transfer Module. Only courses in which a D- or better has been earned will transfer. The admissions policy encourages receiving institutions (UA) to admit, on a non-preferential consideration basis, students who complete the Transfer Module with a grade of D- or better in each completed course and fewer than 90 quarter hours or 60 semester hours at their former institution(s). These students can transfer all courses for which they received a grade of C or better. Admission to UA, however, does not guarantee that a transfer student will be automatically admitted to all majors, minors, or fields of concentration. Once admitted, transfer students are subject to the same regulations governing applicability of catalog requirements as are all other students. Furthermore, transfer students are accorded the same class standing and other privileges as native students on the basis of the number of credits earned. All residency requirements must be successfully completed at the receiving institution (UA) prior to the granting of a degree.

What are the responsibilities of the Transfer Student?

When students know ahead of time that they will be transferring from one institution to another in the course of their collegiate studies (e.g., from a community college to a four-year institution), they should plan a course of study that will meet the requirements of a degree program at the receiving institution (UA) to facilitate a transfer with maximum applicability of transfer credit. Specifically, students should identify early in their collegiate studies an institution and major to which they desire to transfer. Furthermore, students should determine if there are language requirements or any special course requirements that can be met during their freshman or sophomore years. Advance planning enables students to pursue a course of study that will articulate with the receiving institution's major. Students are encouraged to seek further information regarding transfer from both their adviser and the college or university to which they plan to transfer.

How does coursework from a former institution(s) transfer to The University of Akron?

Visit our Transfer Equivalency Database to determine course equivalencies.

What is the Transfer Appeal Process?

A multi-level, broad-based transfer appeal process is required to be in place at each institution; therefore, a student who disagrees with the application of transfer credit by the receiving institution (UA) shall be informed of his/her right to appeal the decision and the process for filing the appeal. Each institution shall make available to students the appeal process for that specific college or university. If a transfer student's appeal is denied by the institution after all appeal levels within the institution have been exhausted, the institution shall advise the student in writing of the availability and process of an appeal to the state level Articulation and Transfer Appeals Review Committee. The Appeals Review Committee shall review and recommend to institutions the resolution of individual cases of appeal from transfer students who have exhausted all local appeal mechanisms concerning applicability of transfer credits at receiving institutions.

What is the Transfer Module?

The Ohio Board of Regents, following the directive of the Ohio General Assembly, has developed a new statewide policy to facilitate movement of students and transfer credits from one Ohio public college or university to another. The purpose of the state policy is to avoid duplication of course requirements and to enhance student mobility throughout Ohio's higher education system. Since independent colleges and universities in Ohio may or may not be participating in the transfer policy, students interested in transferring to an independent institution are encouraged to check with the college or university of their choice regarding transfer agreements. The new Ohio Board of Regents' Transfer and Articulation Policy established the Transfer Module, which is a specific subset or the entire set of a college or university's general education requirements. The Transfer Module contains 54-60 quarter hours or 36-40 semester hours of specified course credits in English composition, mathematics, fine arts, humanities, social science, behavioral science, natural science, physical science, and interdisciplinary coursework. A transfer module completed at one college or university will automatically meet the requirements of the transfer module at the receiving institution (UA), once the student is accepted to The University of Akron. Students may be required, however, to meet additional general education requirements that are not included in the Transfer Module. Additional information regarding the Transfer Module may be obtained from The University of Akron's Transfer Student Services Center, (330) 972-7009.

How does a transfer student reap the benefits of the previous coursework that transfers to The University of Akron?

During Transfer Transition, transfer students will meet with an academic adviser to learn how the credits can be used toward his/her intended degree. Transferred credits fit into three general categories: courses that are equivalent to General Education requirements, courses that apply to a specific degree program, and electives. To get the most out of his/her transcript evaluation, the transfer student should work with his/her adviser to review what has transferred to UA and to ascertain how the transferred coursework fits into his/her specific degree plan. If a transfer student applies early and has completed all coursework at his/her prior institution, he/she will receive a Degree Audit (an evaluation of the final transcript as it applies to the General Education requirements at UA). A copy of the Degree Audit will also be in the student's file at the time he/she meets his/her adviser during Transfer Student Orientation. When the Office of Admissions receives an official, final transcript, the process to give a transfer student full admission to UA will begin. At the end of that process, the transfer student will receive an official Degree Audit. See above.

What is the procedure if non-UA students want to take classes at UA as a Guest Student?

Any University of Akron student who wishes to take coursework at another accredited institution of higher education is considered a "transient student." The student must receive prior approval by the academic dean of the appropriate college/department if the student intends to apply this course work toward a degree at The University of Akron. Transient Permission Form That is, a student can make an official request for transient credit by submitting a Transient Permission Form. If the coursework taken at another institution will be used to satisfy University of Akron General Education requirements, permission to take the course(s) must be received from the University College Dean's Office. If the coursework taken at another institution will be used to satisfy a degree-granting college degree requirement or as elective credit, permission to take the course must be received from the department or college in which the course is taught at The University of Akron. If a student is within 32 credits of receiving a baccalaureate degree or within 16 credits of receiving an associate degree, the student must receive transient permission from the student's degree-granting college. Note: Coursework taken at another institution cannot be considered for The University of Akron's Repeat for Change of Grade Policy or Academic Reassessment. Also, effective Summer '05, a student will be allowed to accumulate only 18 total transient credit hours. His/Her work may be accepted and approved at a transient institution valid for only one term at a time.

What does it mean to be admitted to UA as a "Transfer on Probation"?

A transfer student who is bringing less than a 2.0 GPA from his/her former institution(s) is admitted to UA "on probation."

As a probationary student, the transfer on probation (TOP) student is required to attend an IAM (Individual Academic Management) Workshop, sign an Academic Action Form (AAF), and adhere to all of the requirements as outlined on this academic contract. If the transfer student who enters UA on probation does satisfactory academic work during his/her first semester on UA's campus, the probationary status may be lifted by the Dean of University College.

If a student transfers from another university/college, does his/her GPA from the previous institution transfer to UA or do just the credits transfer?

A student's grade point average (GPA) from his/her previous school(s) will not transfer to UA. When a student starts at UA, he/she begins to build a new GPA. While the opportunity to start all over is very good news if the student did not do well at his/her previous school, it is disheartening if a student's previous GPA was a 3.5. On the other hand, that kind of success can be attained here at UA, too. A transfer GPA may be used for entering a particular College here at The University of Akron, but again, the transfer student begins to build a new GPA from here on, based on the classes he/she completes at UA. The University of Akron will accept transfer work from an accredited college or university in which the student earned a grade of D- or better.