Osher Foundation Reentry Scholarship
The Osher Foundation Reentry Scholarship was established by The Bernard Osher Foundation to provide assistance to adult learners who otherwise might not be able to afford a college education.
It offers a financial incentive, as well as important recognition, for the most qualified students to work toward degree completion and, ultimately, fulfill their career objectives.
Students selected to be Osher Scholars will:
- Be between 25 and 50 years of age
- Have been away from school for a minimum of five years (you can be a current student and be eligible if you meet this requirement)
- Be working toward the completion of first baccalaureate degree
- Be enrolled full time (carrying at least 12 hours) part time (carrying a minimum of six credit hours)
- Have completed a minimum of 30 credits with at least one semester of completed coursework at The University of Akron with a 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA.
- You must be enrolled in Fall classes. This scholarship can be awarded for Summer/Fall or Fall/Spring but the applicant MUST be enrolled in Fall classes!
To demonstrate movement toward their degree objectives, Osher Scholars must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 at the end of the first semester on scholarship. If a student's GPA falls below a 2.0, the student must document the reasons for the substandard performance, and submit a plan of action to raise the GPA.
Having maintained an appropriate GPA and compiled a strong record of academic performance, Osher Scholars who meet the application requirements may have the opportunity to renew their Osher Reentry Scholarship award, and/or receive additional scholarship support when they are admitted to their degree-granting colleges.
Submission deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday April 1st, 2022
You may drop it off in-person,
Scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Or Mail to:
UA Adult Focus
ATTN: Scott Roberts
The University of Akron, Polsky Building 467, Akron, Ohio 44325-4110
Please complete these four steps.
STEP ONE: Please complete the Osher Foundation Reentry Scholarship application.
- Osher 2022-2023 application (Word document)
- Osher 2022-2023 application (PDF)
- Hard copy presently available in Adult Focus office, 467 Polsky Building, 44325-4110
STEP TWO: Compose a one-page typed essay about your decision to return to college. Make sure you include your educational goals and where they will lead you professionally. Highlight any life experiences or extenuating circumstances that pertain to your decision to reenter college. MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR NAME AND STUDENT ID# on your essay.
STEP THREE: Make sure your FAFSA is complete and submitted for academic year 2022-2023. Your application will NOT be considered without a current FAFSA on file.
STEP FOUR: Return your completed application (including essay) to Adult Focus (see above for where or how to send it)
To be considered, the application must be complete. All three steps must be in place; application and essay turned in together, and a FAFSA MUST be on file for your application to be considered. Each application will be considered on its merit by a scholarship committee composed of members of Adult Focus, the campus community.