The University is advising you to ignore and delete a deceptive e-mail sent to some UA addresses.
The e-mail, which carries the subject line "FINAL NOTIFICATION: KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT ACTIVE," is an attempt to obtain sensitive information such as passwords and other personal identifiers.
If you responded to an e-mail request to provide a password or have questions, contact the UA Support Desk (Help Desk) at ext. 6888 to change your password.
As a reminder, Information Technology Services is warning students, faculty and staff to disregard and delete any e-mails that ask for personal information like passwords, even if the e-mail appears to come from a University of Akron e-mail address. These messages are usually from an unknown source outside of the University, and they are an attempt to fraudulently obtain sensitive information in order to assume the recipient's identity.
There are times when members of the ITS Computer Support Center may ask you for your password so that they may assist you, but those requests will be in person or over the phone. They will never ask for a password by e-mail.
A few tips to stay secure:
- Do not give your password to anyone including employees of The University of Akron. No one needs to know your password even to assist you with problems using the University's services.
- If someone claims to work for the University and claims to need your password, report this to Support Center staff immediately.
- Never respond to requests for personal information via e-mail or in a pop-up window.
- Be suspicious by default. Do not visit sites via links embedded in emails requesting personal information. Use bookmarks or type in the URL that you know is valid (i.e., for your bank, ebay, etc.)
- Do not be put at ease by language that suggests a concern for your security
- For more information on how to identify phishing scams and to how to recognize fraudulent web links, visit: http://support.uakron.edu/wiki/index.php/Phishing
Here is the e-mail in question:
Subject: FINAL NOTIFICATION: KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT ACTIVE
Attn. Webmail Users,
We regret to announce to you that we will be making some vital maintainance on our website. During this process you might have login problems in signing into your Online account, to prevent this you have to confirm your account immediately after you receive this notification.
To confirm and to keep your account active during and after this process, please reply to this message with the below account informations. Failure to do this might cause a permanent deactivation of your user account from our database to enable us create more spaces for new users.
YOUR ACCOUNT CONFIRMATION
Date of birth:
Your account shall remain active after you have successfully confirmed your account details.
Thanks for bearing with us.
[e-mail address removed]
Warning Code: 002671
SEND ALL RESPONSES TO: [e-mail address removed]