Hello Fellow Students!
It is hard to imagine that the fall semester is more than halfway finished. At this halfway point, I want to take the opportunity to provide you with an update on the activities of Associated Student Government (ASG) over this past summer and over the first half of the current semester.
First of all, ASG has been representing students in many committees including:
- The Student Discipline and Law Enforcement Policy Review Commission
- University Budget Committee
- Student Fee Structure Task Force
- Search Committees (Chief Diversity Officer, Director of the Institute for Teaching and Learning, and the Director of the Office of Student Judicial Affairs)
- Student Success and Retention Committee
- First Year Experience Task Force
- Undergraduate Research Fair Committee
- University Council Exploratory Committee
- Learning Commons Planning Team for the library
ASG is also working on numerous projects to enhance the student experience and make the lives of students better at The University of Akron. Some of these projects include:
- Increase the full-time credit hour cap from 15 credits to something more fair for students while at the same time promoting a more timely graduation
- Improve general education requirements
- Implement a financial literacy program to aid students in better managing the debt they are increasingly forced to incur
- Increase the allocation of the Extracurricular Activities Fund for student organizations
- Petition Chipotle to establish a restaurant near campus
- Bring the New York Times Readership Program to campus
- Expand Zipcard acceptance to more off campus locations
- Continue "campus walkabouts" to identify campus safety problem areas and implement a plan for the improvement of those areas
- Hold a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Clinic to help students fill out the document (tentatively January 24th from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in Ballroom A)
- Improve and expand the campus recycling program
- Work with Parking Services and the Administration to improve the parking situation on campus
For a detailed list of my personal goals for the year, please go here
. Please know that ASG and I work for YOU. If there is anything you think we should be doing, have some ideas for us, or if you need help with anything related to the campus, please do not hesitate to contact us. ASG's contact information and location are on the website, and my personal contact information can be found below. Also, please check out our new website
and learn more about us! If you are interested in getting more involved, there are some open positions posted on the main page. General members are always welcome as well.
Lastly, I will give the "State of the ASG Address" on Wednesday, Nov. 8, from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Student Union 335. I will talk more about what ASG is doing and our plans for the rest of the academic year. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and meet members of ASG. A light lunch will also be served. Everyone in the university community is welcome; no RSVP is needed.
I wish everyone a wonderful finish to the fall semester.