Hello Fellow Students
As we are all checking our grades today to see how our professors evaluated our performances, I thought this would be an appropriate time to inform you about your student government’s activities over the past year and invite you to evaluate our performance, just as each of us is evaluated in our classes.
ASG feels that we have addressed many of the major issues that have challenged the student body at our University this past year, and we have positively represented students to faculty, staff, administrators, and various lawmakers. Associated Student Government has been an integral part of the overall University student success initiative. This initiative has been working to define student success and finding ways in which the University can better enable student success. ASG will continue to play a large role in this conversation and many others to ensure students are represented in all matters of the University.
Throughout this year, we have also been actively involved in issues such as promoting undergraduate research, working with student conduct procedures, serving on various search committees (including the Vice President for Student Affairs), helping plan the new Learning Commons in Bierce Library, working with Information Technology on a replacement for WebCT and a new look to the University’s homepage, coming up with parking strategies for the fall semester, and even working to set up a new shared governance structure to foster more cross campus collaboration on decision-making.
In addition to these initiatives, ASG is also working on numerous projects to enhance the student experience and make the lives of students better at The University of Akron.
Some of these projects include:
- Improving the general education requirements
- Sponsoring money management workshops
- Helping to reduce the cost of books by encouraging faculty to submit book orders in early
- Helping families accurately request federal grants and loans by sponsoring a FAFSA clinic
- Implementing the Campus Readership Program by offering access to free newspapers
- Exposing student safety concerns through “campus safety walkabouts” and safety forums
- Improving and expanding the campus recycling program
- Creating an ASG Student Handbook
- Implementing the Ruckus free music download program (more information)
- And representing students to state lawmakers during this important budget process
Whether you just completed your first year at The University of Akron or just graduated last weekend, it is my hope that your Associated Student Government has served you well this past year. Please let us know how we did by emailing me any suggestions you have. I will take every suggestion very seriously in the hopes that we can improve next year and earn an A+ from you as your undergraduate student government.
Also, please check out our new website and learn more about us! If you are interested in getting more involved, there are some open positions available in which I would be more than happy to talk with you about. General members are always welcome as well.
I wish everyone a wonderful summer, whether you are working, taking classes, or just relaxing. In most of our cases, it is probably a combination of all three!
Associated Student Government
Student Union 133 (inside the SOuRCe)